pole barn make use of cut tree's

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #11  
Re: pole barn make use of cut tree\'s

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
A 30x50 pole barn. Using trees as the posts, headers, and maybe rafters.. on top of holes filled with cement that comes 4" out of the ground.
)</font>

By definition a pole barn has the uprights extend into the soil, what you are contemplating would be considered "timber framing".

A pole barn's structural integrity depends on the length of pole in the ground resisting side loading. In other words it can't lean because it can't move all the dirt around the pole(s). When you mount the poles on concrete piers, the only resistance to side loading is the attachment method and/or the framing around it.

Being as I have 7 acres of white pine begging to be made into a barn, I have been contemplating this for some time.... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif and have yet to come to any conclusion other than store bought lumber would be much easier to work with. In fact. I'm almost to the point of thinking a log cabin approach may work best, would be one heck of a shop.

Dart

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #12  

We are still negotiating the price or maybe a trade of wood for sawing. I will keep you all informed as we progress

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #13  

I would use top quality commercially treated poles/timbers for any use requiring soil contact. Your white pine will be fine sawed up for any use above ground and out of the weather. Used as poles put directly into the ground you'll waste a lot of money feeding termites and rotting poles.

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #14  

just a thought , I used to help put up lester barns and there posts were three 2x6 sandwitched together with the center one extended 1 1/2 inch and they staggered treated wood up to about 1to 2 feet above the floor so yuy only needed a 2x6 18' long for each post the rest was standard lumber or your o
wn milled lumber ( they used yellow pine it is stronger)

the reason they extended the 1 1/2 was they didnt run perlings continuasly around the barn they went from post to post layed in that indent

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">(
A pole barn's structural integrity depends on the length of pole in the ground resisting side loading. In other words it can't lean because it can't move all the dirt around the pole(s). When you mount the poles on concrete piers, the only resistance to side loading is the attachment method and/or the framing around it.
)</font>

)</font>

I will continue to call it a pole barn. That way most folks know what I'm talking about. (Wood frame, tin sides) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Have decided to dig holes and put huge rocks sticking out 4 inches to put my poles on, then drill for some 1" rebar to drive into the sandstone and leave about 6" sticking up. Drill a hole in the pole and lower on top of the rebar... I will take some pictures. If it looks good, I'll post them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #16  

Just curious about how the sawyer you will be using will be charging you. Would you mind sharing some info on this subject? )</font> <font color="blue"> </font>

I built a 28X36 log cabin on my farm using loblolly pines I cut off the place. I had a guy come in with a Woodmizer portable mill, and he cut the pines into 6"x7" logs for the cabin walls. He charged me $1500.00 to do the job. As a bonus, I got enough random length one bys to do the interior walls. It turned out to be very nice. I don't live on the farm but go there most weekends to hunt, fish, farm, relax etc. I tried to attach a picture of the cabin but apparently all my pictures are over 100000 bytes. Wonder why some on here are able to post pictures without a problem? Everytime I try I fail because of the 100000 byte limit. Any computer techies got any suggestions?

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #18  

The only thing about not sinking the poles into the ground is that you will have to increase the sway frameing. I was doing a design for a shed like you want to build. It is much more difficult to get enough strength to resist the wind loads.

Houses have interior walls that act as sway frames. Pole barns are usually open construction, and don't have any interior bracing.

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #19  

I will continue to call it a pole barn. That way most folks know what I'm talking about. (Wood frame, tin sides) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Have decided to dig holes and put huge rocks sticking out 4 inches to put my poles on, then drill for some 1" rebar to drive into the sandstone and leave about 6" sticking up. Drill a hole in the pole and lower on top of the rebar... I will take some pictures. If it looks good, I'll post them. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

But, it isn't a pole barn. I was with you on the concrete piers, you can anchor the footing to the pole with some good hardware.

Six inches of rebar in a rock & a pole??????? Don't bother, your shed won't last the first 10 mph wind. You don't get the concept of the 'pole barn' yet. You need a good deep 4' or more anchor below ground level. The poles do more than carry the weight of the roof - they anchor the side-sway and pressure of the wind on the walls.

This plan will _not_ do it.

--->Paul

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #20  

Here alot of the pole barns got their names from being made out of what we call tree poles. THey are 3 to8 inch diameter trees that a super straight. the poles are cut and stacked out to dry then used. We have about 500 poplar in onspot at work we have to clear before we can dump rubbish on them and Im taking them to make the upper fram work in a friend hunting cabin. Most of the time they are stripped by a homemade debarker or often a special cuttin edge we mount onto a boxblade to power peel the logs before curing. Somtimes pine poles are cut and debarked and before they are cured let sit in a vat of kerosene and burnt motor oil. The soak up the mix and this inhibits rot and bugs.