pole barn make use of cut tree's

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #1  

rcrcomputing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti ck30
pole barn make use of cut tree\'s

I'm scheming on my first "project" using the ck30 tractor that's not even here yet. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A 30x50 pole barn. Using trees as the posts, headers, and maybe rafters.. on top of holes filled with cement that comes 4" out of the ground.
A dirt floor.
Commercial Tin.

The catch is, most my tree's in Oklahoma aren't so tall and straight. I'll be limited to about 15' pieces for the headers.

Any of you tried such a thing?

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #2  
Re: pole barn make use of cut tree\'s

I've seen folks use standing trees for a pole barn built in place to take advantage of the trees as uprights. You stiill have the problem of anything in contact with the ground eventually rotting if it isn't preserved some way.

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #3  

I have been scheming on the same line. I have contacted a local sawmill to cut the trees into 6x8 timbers. I am going to use Osage Orange and that should prevent the rot problem. Where do you live? what kind of trees will you use? I think it is feasible, but then again, I want it to work for me too.

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #4  

Osage orange will outlast any other species no matter what the treatment method.

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have been scheming on the same line. I have contacted a local sawmill to cut the trees into 6x8 timbers. I am going to use Osage Orange and that should prevent the rot problem. Where do you live? what kind of trees will you use? I think it is feasible, but then again, I want it to work for me too. )</font>

Northeast Oklahoma. Blackjack and walnut trees. Hmm, I'll check into the osage orange... I'd image mine will stay round, but I'll use a chainsaw to notch them..
Be a "rustic" look". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #6  

"Be a "rustic" look". "

W/ the price of lumber.. we might all be building w/ that rustic look.

I have one neighbor who throws some western type parties.. inside his pole barn.. one section is an old fashion kitchen.. w/ wood cooking stove.. the walls are made w/ halved cedar logs.. very rustic looking.. I really liked it.

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #7  

My brother and I have a guy with a portable mill willing to bring it to the farm. We have harvested quite a few cherry trees and some walnut which pays for us to cut the other trees for building a shed and some timber for our homes. You may want to check around and see if any Woodmizer owners are around you. For us it is a cheap way to get a quality shed.

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #8  

I'm saving my cedar trees for posts on porches and gazebos, but that's all. Anything is possible, but pre-cut, ready to build material has a huge apeal to me.

I didn't take any pictures, but TXDon has a cabin built from cedar trees that is truly amazing. Hopefully he'll share some picutes of it, or you might PM him and ask about it. I've never seen anything quite like it.

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #9  

What material do you plan on using for the sides, or will they be open like a 'shed'?

/ pole barn make use of cut tree's #10  

Jim -

Just curious about how the sawyer you will be using will be charging you. Would you mind sharing some info on this subject?

I have quite a few large locust trees that I am considering hiring a portable sawmillyer to cut to use for a pole building, so any advise would be helpful.

Thanks