Using FEL as scaffolding

/ Using FEL as scaffolding #1  

Fungus

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B21 & Volvo BL 60
Is this a bad idea? I’ve been thinking about improving my setup to include a handrail/work table, material holder and such. It would be nice to be able to cut and install material without going up & down the ladder.

Attachments

• 630031-DCP_1234(50).JPG
    630031-DCP_1234(50).JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,654
   / Using FEL as scaffolding #2  
Sure can I did a whole barn with a cat walk and rail made out of 2x8 by 12' hung on a pair of tines. Had a tool box but did any cutting on the ground. Then run a rod taped to your lift lever for that extra lift. bcs

/ Using FEL as scaffolding #3  
It IS innovative. I'd just say what I'm sure you already know: Be careful. Use common sense. If you add the guardrails, be SURE they are secure. If they aren't done right, they could give a false sense of security. You wouldn't want to lean on one and have it fail. And remember, you do it all at your own risk.

/ Using FEL as scaffolding #4  
That's not a bad idea, IMO. Sometimes you gotta do with what ya got.
And you already know it is not the safest thing to do (no lecture from me).

If me, I would cut a prop to stick under the bucket, just in case. But I see you have already planned for an 'event' where the bucket might drop. Just that a potential bump of the hyd. levers by you or someone else may cause some anxiety attacks, when the plywood doesn't protect the new siding.

Looks like you are about done, so good luck with the finishing in a timely and safe manner.

Let us know if you need on a prayer chain /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Using FEL as scaffolding #5  
Fungus,
It look like you have everything under control. A prop under the bucket as beenthere suggests would add some added safety. Also, most loader valves have a lock on them so the arm can't be moved until unlocked. I'd set it to the locked position.

Bill

/ Using FEL as scaffolding
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sometimes you gotta do with what ya got)</font>

Yep.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just that a potential bump of the hyd. levers by you or someone else may cause some anxiety attacks, when the plywood doesn't protect the new siding.)</font>

My tractor has a lock-out device to prevent the bucket from lowering accidentally.

Actually, the plywood is part of the building. Eventually a roof will protrude above it to form a wood shed.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Looks like you are about done, so good luck with the finishing in a timely and safe manner.)</font>

Thanks; I still have a workshop and several houses to complete so I’m figuring out how to get it done more efficiently. I just can’t train the wife to use the circular saw and run up & down the ladder /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Using FEL as scaffolding #7  
Tell me I'm just seeing things...it looks like you've put your stabilizer down on your airline.

/ Using FEL as scaffolding
Yeah, it does look that way. It wouldn’t be the first time those things have gotten me into trouble /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Using FEL as scaffolding #9  
I seem to remember seeing on a board (an early version of TBN?) where some guy had made a man platform that slipped on a set of forks. They were using it to build a barn.

It was a neat outfit, with safety rails. Tried a search, but maybe someone else will remember.

/ Using FEL as scaffolding #10  
Seems like a good idea. but am sure OSHA would not approve, course they never do till something goes wrong. do you operate the tractor then use a ladder to climb up? or does somelse operate it with you on the scaffold?