repairing shed prior to moving

/ repairing shed prior to moving #1  

aardvark

Gold Member
I have a Robin brand shed on my property which came with the house. It's the Ruffy model found on Robin's website below, and it was installed in 1984 according to the permit on file in the with the records dept.
http://www.robinbuilders.com/products/ruffy.html

Anyway, over the years, the previous owner nailed stuff to the outside of the shed, which created leaks, and the wood began to rot. Right now I'm fixing these problems so I can move the shed. I calculate the shed will be about $1100 to fix, vs $3200 to buy a new one of the same size.

The posts at all the corners are rotted away. Also along the base most of the footer is rotted, and needs to be replaced. In order to keep the building from falling apart, I took all the left over plywood on the property and screwed it to the uprights insode the shed. This gave it some structural rigidity after the metal siding was removed. Next was to remove all the hurricane straps and nails holding the uprights to the floor's base.

Attachments

• 635428-IM001509.JPG
    635428-IM001509.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 495
   / repairing shed prior to moving
Once the straps and nails were removed I was able to lift the shed off the base to do the repairs with the BX23.

Attachments

• 635430-IM001512.JPG
    635430-IM001512.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 435
Closer pic of tractor bucket lifting shed side.

Attachments

• 635431-IM001511.JPG
    635431-IM001511.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 404
Placed new 2x4x10 into position for structure dring the lifting of the shed off the base. This is temporary since many of the uprights are rotted and need to be replaced or repaired. I just need some structure at the bottom so I can lift the shed about four feet off the base, giving me access to tear up the tongue in groove floor and replace the rotted wood. I'm actually just thinking of replacing all the floor with 3/4" pressure treated plywood.

Attachments

• 635434-IM001514.JPG
    635434-IM001514.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 380
I now have the footers replaced on three sides, but the shed is no longer nailed to the base, since all the hurricane straps and nails have been removed from the uprights. I've strapped it down with two of the 10k lb straps just so the wind doesn't blow it away. Tomorrrow I finish the footer on the fourth side, and lift the whole shed upper assembly onto concrete blocks so I can access the floor and base. I'm going to run four 4x4x16's under the shed walls so the shed can rest on top of the concrete block stacks. This should give me three feet of clearnace on each side, which should allow me to tear up the floor.

Once the floor is replaced I will set the shed back down on the base and nail the footers to the floor. Then repair the rotted uprights, and install the new hurricane straps. Once these are done, the shed will mostly hold itself together, and I can remove the metal siding on the roof and begin replacing the rotted trusses. Once all this is done, then I can move the shed to it's new location before I re-install new siding.

Attachments

• 635437-IM001515.JPG
    635437-IM001515.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 390
Tomorrow I'll have some more pictures hopefully with the shed on blocks, and the floor removed.

I was granted the permit to move the shed last week, so I've begun working on it with vigor. I figured if I didn't get the permit, I'd just buy a new one and have it installed. It's about $2100 more doing that though, so I'm happy the permit went through.

Here's another picture of the rotting.

Attachments

• 635441-IM001507.JPG
    635441-IM001507.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 341
More rot

Attachments

• 635442-IM001508.JPG
    635442-IM001508.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 286
Inside with plywood support structure and material storage.

Attachments

• 635444-IM001510.JPG
    635444-IM001510.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 283
   / repairing shed prior to moving #9  
Excellent post aardvark. Great pics also. It is always nice to see someone take on repair rather than just buy new. Plus the cost savings doesn't hurt either.

Can't wait to see how the project progresses.

CT_Jeff

/ repairing shed prior to moving #10  
Just looked at your post. Well I was thinking now would be a good time to make it a little taller if you needed the height. Seems like a nice little project,lookes very good.