Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    MF 1240, JD 210C TLB

Default cutting torch under water

I have a large picture outline that I want to cut into an 1/8" steel plate, but I'm afraid of the torch heat warping the 30" dia thin metal and ruining it. Brainstorm [img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] would imersing the plate in a shallow tub of water, say 1/4" of water on both sides, and cutting in the water bath work? Anybody try using an oxy-actelyene torch under water?

I know that a plasma cutter would be best but I don't own one and really don't want to invest in something for a one time project.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830 03: RTV 900

Default Re: cutting torch under water

you could send it out some where and have it cut with a water jet or cut it with a saber saw (metal cutting blade).

Elite Member
    Tractor
    3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,

Syncro a trick taught to me long ago by a fitter/welder was to get a small water pump like out of a water fountain and let it cirulate water over the top of the plate as near the cut as you can prefreably1/2 inch. even a thin layer wouldnt hurt on the cut as the oxygen will remove the water. I tried using it this technique but lettin the part rest in a shallow pan. When I cut through I had hot water splash on me. I just use this for welding thing sheets but I us e the flwing water trick alot.

Tractor
    Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.

As deerlope said, if you have a metalworks place, a waterjet does an excellent job. We have a local sheetmetal place that has a great waterjet. I thought it would be incredibly expensive to have something cut out, but it really wasn't. you may want to try that if you want precision.

Tractor
    MF 1240, JD 210C TLB

I thought about using a film of water on top, in fact I have a wet tile saw that uses such a small pump. I have a smaller piece of scrape that I'll try it on. I think you're right about not using a tub, hot water splashing back would be a problem.

As for the other suggestions abouit having it done, I guess thats always an option, but I kinda wanted to actually make this myself. It will be the center piece on an iron gate we're having fabricated for our driveway entrance.

I never thought about using a sawsall with a metal cutting blade, probably use up a whole lot of blades. Might just give that a try too, although I kinda wanted the rough, rustic looking cut of a torch though.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Jepe 354

I cut and welded 1/8" diamond plate to fit around my jeep body using a jigsaw and Lenox blades. The jigsaw was a heavy duty DeWalt that rocks the blade forward and backwards. I tried several different blades and found the more expensive metal cutting Lenox blades would last 4 or 5 times longer and do a better job. I could get about 5 feet of really good cut with one blade. I tried the cutting torch first and found I was not able to get a straight enough cut to make a clean weld on the body, plus it did distort the metal somewhat. It might not be the fastest method, but it does a good job. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Why not look into the metal cutting circular saw at Sears.It's a twin blade saw

Tractor
    Struck Magnatrac 6000, Kioti DK40SE

Would a die grinder with metal cutting wheel be a possibility? If you might be looking to invest in a new toy (er tool [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) for this and possible future projects you might think about a heavy duty sheet metal nibbler. They are pretty pricey though. One of the cheaper ones I saw was a Makita on Northern Tool for up to 10 gauge steel for around $375. Others I saw were in the $1000 range.

John

Tractor
    MF 1240, JD 210C TLB

All good suggestions, thanks. I'll try a few different methods and let you guys know how it turned out. Maybe a combination of all of the above will be the ticket.

Gotta say I've been thinking about buying a plasma cutter. I see Harbor Freight has them starting abt ~$500. Wonder how much a guy would use somehting like that. I've always cut with a torch, and really never messed with thin steel or sheet metal. Well... mother's day is coming up, I suppose I could always get the wife one! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Kioti CK30HST

That 1/8" sheet will likely warp if you get it too hot in one place. I've warped 1/8" material with a plasma cutter too so I wouldn't assume that would be the ticket. Water and a plasma cutter is no good, electrocution.

The only way to assure that you don't heat warp the material is to not use heat. I have had great luck with a regular old jigsaw fitted with metal cutting blades. Basicly a power hacksaw.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast