cutting torch under water

/ cutting torch under water #1  

Syncro

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF 1532, Kubota B-26 TLB
I have a large picture outline that I want to cut into an 1/8" steel plate, but I'm afraid of the torch heat warping the 30" dia thin metal and ruining it. Brainstorm /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif would imersing the plate in a shallow tub of water, say 1/4" of water on both sides, and cutting in the water bath work? Anybody try using an oxy-actelyene torch under water?

I know that a plasma cutter would be best but I don't own one and really don't want to invest in something for a one time project.

/ cutting torch under water #2  
you could send it out some where and have it cut with a water jet or cut it with a saber saw (metal cutting blade).

/ cutting torch under water #3  
Syncro a trick taught to me long ago by a fitter/welder was to get a small water pump like out of a water fountain and let it cirulate water over the top of the plate as near the cut as you can prefreably1/2 inch. even a thin layer wouldnt hurt on the cut as the oxygen will remove the water. I tried using it this technique but lettin the part rest in a shallow pan. When I cut through I had hot water splash on me. I just use this for welding thing sheets but I us e the flwing water trick alot.

/ cutting torch under water #4  
As deerlope said, if you have a metalworks place, a waterjet does an excellent job. We have a local sheetmetal place that has a great waterjet. I thought it would be incredibly expensive to have something cut out, but it really wasn't. you may want to try that if you want precision.

/ cutting torch under water
I thought about using a film of water on top, in fact I have a wet tile saw that uses such a small pump. I have a smaller piece of scrape that I'll try it on. I think you're right about not using a tub, hot water splashing back would be a problem.

As for the other suggestions abouit having it done, I guess thats always an option, but I kinda wanted to actually make this myself. It will be the center piece on an iron gate we're having fabricated for our driveway entrance.

I never thought about using a sawsall with a metal cutting blade, probably use up a whole lot of blades. Might just give that a try too, although I kinda wanted the rough, rustic looking cut of a torch though.

/ cutting torch under water #6  
I cut and welded 1/8" diamond plate to fit around my jeep body using a jigsaw and Lenox blades. The jigsaw was a heavy duty DeWalt that rocks the blade forward and backwards. I tried several different blades and found the more expensive metal cutting Lenox blades would last 4 or 5 times longer and do a better job. I could get about 5 feet of really good cut with one blade. I tried the cutting torch first and found I was not able to get a straight enough cut to make a clean weld on the body, plus it did distort the metal somewhat. It might not be the fastest method, but it does a good job. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ cutting torch under water #7  
Why not look into the metal cutting circular saw at Sears.It's a twin blade saw

/ cutting torch under water #8  
Would a die grinder with metal cutting wheel be a possibility? If you might be looking to invest in a new toy (er tool /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) for this and possible future projects you might think about a heavy duty sheet metal nibbler. They are pretty pricey though. One of the cheaper ones I saw was a Makita on Northern Tool for up to 10 gauge steel for around $375. Others I saw were in the $1000 range.

John

/ cutting torch under water
All good suggestions, thanks. I'll try a few different methods and let you guys know how it turned out. Maybe a combination of all of the above will be the ticket.

Gotta say I've been thinking about buying a plasma cutter. I see Harbor Freight has them starting abt ~$500. Wonder how much a guy would use somehting like that. I've always cut with a torch, and really never messed with thin steel or sheet metal. Well... mother's day is coming up, I suppose I could always get the wife one! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ cutting torch under water #10  
That 1/8" sheet will likely warp if you get it too hot in one place. I've warped 1/8" material with a plasma cutter too so I wouldn't assume that would be the ticket. Water and a plasma cutter is no good, electrocution.

The only way to assure that you don't heat warp the material is to not use heat. I have had great luck with a regular old jigsaw fitted with metal cutting blades. Basicly a power hacksaw.