Building a New Deck

/ Building a New Deck #1  

obrien73

Tractor
BX2230
Finally after about a year of agonizing over it I have started my deck. It will be 28' 6" wide and 16' deep. I am using 2" X 6" pressure treated lumber for the framing and Trex for the deck and railing. I ordered the Trex on Saturday (should be here in about a week).

Attachments

• 642061-Deck 2 TBN.JPG
    642061-Deck 2 TBN.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 923
   / Building a New Deck
This is the area at the rear of the home where the deck will go. Actually it's a picture of my BX and you can kinda see where the deck will go. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif No fair making fun of my multi colored home either. I've got about 6 projects going on at once - new siding and windows are one of them.

Attachments

• 642064-Deck 3 TBN.JPG
    642064-Deck 3 TBN.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 843
   / Building a New Deck
Digging the footings was much easier with the PHD I just got.

Attachments

• 642066-Deck 4 TBN.JPG
    642066-Deck 4 TBN.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 780
   / Building a New Deck
Originally I was going to dig square footings, but decided to use concrete tubes instead.

Attachments

• 642067-Deck 6 TBN.JPG
    642067-Deck 6 TBN.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 694
   / Building a New Deck
It's starting to take shape now. I was able to pour all but 3 of the footings. I wanted to rim the deck up just to make sure that all of my measurements were correct before I poured any concrete. The boards over the footings are for protection from my always curious dogs.

Attachments

• 642069-Deck 9 TBN.JPG
    642069-Deck 9 TBN.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 812
   / Building a New Deck #6  
Last summer, my son and I built a 16x20 ft deck using Trex. It was great to work with. I still have some trim board to put up, but will need to take the trailer back to the lumberyard to pick up 3 more sticks of trex.

We wanted benches on one side and a nice rail on the other side. Since trex has little strength, I fabbed some bench brackets and rail brackets out of 2x3 angle iron and placed 3/16 x 4 flat iron under the trex for the rails and benches. After welding all the iron up, took it in to be powdercoated.

Pics aren't that good, but you get the idea. We love the deck!

ron

Attachments

• 642074-Resize of bench close.JPG
    642074-Resize of bench close.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 775
   / Building a New Deck #7  
2nd pic of whole deck.
ron

Attachments

• 642078-Resize of deck wide.JPG
    642078-Resize of deck wide.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 776
   / Building a New Deck #8  
obrien,
Your view of the mountains from the 'soon to be' deck is simply spectacular! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Where can I get one of those post hole diggers that dig the square holes??

Don

/ Building a New Deck #9  
I will be building a aprox 14 x 60 deck and will use Trex or some other composite. What is Trex like to cut? I don't want to kill my nice blades.

/ Building a New Deck #10  
I know what you mean. We didn't built the deck last summer cause we could not come up with a plan. We have a solid idea and layout now but its not engineered yet.