Barn remodeling/restoration project

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project #21  
You sure did a nice job on the conversion!!!

What did you finish the floor with?

Eddie

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project #22  
Wow, nice job! The contrast from the first pic to the last is quite impressive.

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project #23  
Nice job on the Horse stalls!!

I'm curious about the floor treatment myself,

Maybe you could start a post "Guess how this floor is finished?" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Looks like bluestone dust, I used that before on a base of a brick walk..

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project #24  
Nice Job! Where did you get the stall kits and how much?...if you don't mind me asking.

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project #25  
You did an excellent job! So nice that it is a shame to put the horses into the barn as they will do their best to destroy it! Darn critters anyway. Seriously though, great work!

Did you make the stall doors?

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project
EddieWalker </font><font color="blue" class="small">( What did you finish the floor with? )</font> Your looking at stone dust, crush, pit finds, smaller than 21a, whatever your local quarry calls it. The depth is of course dependant on the floor, since it was sloped. Average depth is about 9 inches. A final application to really smooth out the center isle is underway. Rubber interlocking bricks are hopefull, on top of that for the final product.

Nasty135 </font><font color="blue" class="small">( Looks like bluestone dust, I used that before on a base of a brick walk.. )</font> Yep, bluestone dust. Once dry, hard as it needs to be.

Makers Mark </font><font color="blue" class="small">( Where did you get the stall kits and how much?...if you don't mind me asking. )</font> The kits are from Woodstar products . The prices are on that site. Very good people to deal with. Like I said earlier, we had a little problem with a shipment. Not a Woodstar issue, someone while the products were in transit really busted them up bad. Woodstar ended up building us new kits and shipped them out as fast as they could.

My cost would not be your cost, as a lot of the lumber is market value for your particular area. I'd say my finished product is about a grand a stall. That would be everything including screws, nails and wood.

burnetma </font><font color="blue" class="small">( Did you make the stall doors? )</font> Nope the complete door, and metal bars are from a manufacturer noted earlier. The door is a customized offering from them.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project
I have finished up the "office areas" in the barn. This w/e I plan on taking lots of pictures during the snow storm. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Notice I said "areas". I have electric and satellite hookups. I have a spare fridge too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It will be my hideout area, until I turn the attention to the milkhouse, which will be the riptides AO only. Unfortunate that depressing news looms large at this point in the farm restoration.

It is a lot more expensive than I thought. Almost tripple in time, effort and money.

I have a new barn roof drip "leak" spot.

My broken fingers still are not healing.

I will not be haying anytime soon.

I will not be upgrading the Kubota anytime soon.

My milkhouse may turn into a laundry mat during the renovations.

I have more burn piles than burn time.

The local dump knows my name and truck color.

I am feeling old.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project #28  
looks nice.

Did a similar conversion but we used the jackhammer to break out all the concrete and pour new.

Glad you didn't use wood for the floors. It's not safe, rots quickly and your barn will reak of urine forever.

If you have ever had a horse trailer with wood floor, you know what I mean.

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project #29  
Mornin Mike,
Real nice job, Im glad I read the whole post, because I was wondering about the floor treatment myself /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks,
scotty

/ Barn remodeling/restoration project #30  
I hate to throw more work at you but: IT appears you reused the existing barn wiring system. Diary barns are hard on wiring systems done with any steel components. Old wiring in barns is subject to greater deterioration than in a residence. Check this out completely to make sure it is safe. New wiring in PVC conduit is a much better choice for barns. Many barns and stables are lost from electrically caused fires.