Is this laser what I need

/ Is this laser what I need #1  

Bigbear

Silver Member
Tractor
Jepe 354
In the near future (from the smell) I will need to re-work my septic. I purchased this laser in hopes it would work for the project. Was it a good buy, and do you think it will work for running the bottom level. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7513884014
I am really looking forward to some backhoe work, but this is really not what I had in mind. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Is this laser what I need #2  
Bigbear; Looks alot like my RoboLaser. I didn't see a remote control, but it probably has one. Should work for shooting a grade. Fantastic price tho, I'm always skeptical about the online auctions. Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Is this laser what I need #3  
You may have a difficult time reading it in the daylight without a receiver, but what a great price!

/ Is this laser what I need #4  
I think it was a good price, but my experience with lasers out doors is that they are hard to see. I prefer the lower price optical level for most of my work. New they were around $200 when I bought mine with tripod and stick.

/ Is this laser what I need #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You may have a difficult time reading it in the daylight without a receiver, but what a great price! )</font>

There are glasses that are supposed to help. Dunno how much they help though.

/ Is this laser what I need #6  
They work pretty good. To have some fun, put them on and look at the sky, just don't look at the sun. You'd be surprised what you see when looking at what we think is clear blue sky! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Is this laser what I need #7  
So, where do I get a pair of these glasses?

/ Is this laser what I need #8  
bigbear,

Make sure you calibrate per the instruction manual the first time you use it. I'd also suggest checking the calibration after using it a couple of times to see that it's not changing over time. If it maintains calibration and the tolerances are appropriate, there's no reason it shouldn't work.

/ Is this laser what I need #9  
txhawg; My glasses came with my laser. If you did a search on the internet for lasers, a number of companies should show up, or search for Robolaser or PLS, those are the two big names I'm familair with. Or maybe check with some of the big box stores. I've used my laser in direct sunlight with glasses and had no problem seeing the dot. The Robolaser like mine also has a line generator attachement that gives you a series of dots to work with.

An entertaining thing though. My partner when I first started using a laser, was very careful about crossing the beam with his hand. Even wore some big ironworker gloves when using it! I asked him why he was so leery of this thing. We both got a good laugh when he stated that he didn't want the beam to burn his hand!!! Think he saw way too many Sci-Fi movies! : /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif: /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Is this laser what I need #10  
I have one of those. I don't think it will work. If your redoing laterals it will not work. I use mine for installing suspended ceiling. The bubble on the unit is not accurate to say the least. I used a torpedo laser to set up the beam of the rotary laser around the room. The laser I use the most is the Torpedo Boy laser for shooting straight levels.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42298&item=7515745849&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

This one is like mine. Metal body. Mine is very accurate. Has a magnet on the bottom. There are other straight lasers that now have micro adjusting bases which the T. Boy does not. That would be very handy. But for 10-20 bucks, beats eye-balling...

thx
Jim