Snake proof fence

/ Snake proof fence #31  
Your wife sounds like my MIL, she'll beat any snake to death with her hoe if it's within miles of her. I recently spoke to one of the AG people here and she says this is going to be a bad year for rattlesnakes in No. California, all the rain has the vegetation really high with lots of rodents to feed on. Thankfully that's the only poisonous snakes we get here. Neighbor has already dispatched three. One of my dogs just got bit last week, didn't know it in time to get the anti-venom, but she's on pain killers and anti-biotics so she's doing fine now. That's why your post hit home for me.

As others have said, be careful and hopefully your wife will lessen her fear with time.

/ Snake proof fence #32  
Welcome to East TN.
I wouldn't worry. I've lived here all my life And have only seen a few snakes. I don’t really look for them, but I found a non-poisonous one a couple of weeks ago when I rolled over a log. I’ve never had one do anything but slither away when I got close. I have always hiked, played and worked in the woods, so I don’t really think your dogs will be bothered.

You might be bothered by moonshiners and pot growers though, living in Cocke Co. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Jim

/ Snake proof fence #33  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You might be bothered by moonshiners and pot growers though, living in Cocke Co. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)</font>

"You better stay away from Copperhead Road" /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I learned in the oil business not to go sightseeing down dirt roads in east Texas and Louisiana, if you don't know exactly where you are and who's "property" you might be close to.

/ Snake proof fence #34  
Our Jack Russells hunt snakes and do a pretty good job of controlling the population. We had a female get bit on the nose a few years ago. Her whole head swelled up like a football. After a couple of days, she was none the worse for wear. Tough little dogs...

/ Snake proof fence #35  
In India, they have those critters (I don't know the plural of mongoose-mongeese, mongooses, mongeeses??) that dart around, grab cobras by the back of the neck, and whiplash those serpents to death. Wonder if you can buy (even rent) a few from a pet store and let 'em run around the backyard for awhile?

/ Snake proof fence #36  
Mongeese only grab them cobras because they are a slow striker, pit vipers on the other hand require meerkats. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Snake proof fence
Thanks for the welcome.

Is Cocke County really that bad? Since I bought the property I am hearing alot about crime. The property I have has Sevier County on two sides. We are about 12 miles from Newport and 14 Miles from Gatlinburg. After the sale the RE agent tells me to put up a garage right away so they don't steal my tractor!

Charlie

M

/ Snake proof fence
What do Vets do for snake-bit dogs. I guess I only have to worry about copperheads. My wife is stepping off the distance to all the area vets <G>

Thanks

Charlie

/ Snake proof fence #39  
We didn't bother taking the dog to the vet. By the time we saw the Jack, about 8 hours or so had already passed. Most of the damage was already done at that point.

She wasn't a happy pooch for a couple weeks, but she pulled through. Vets will apply an anti-venom and most likely give steriods to keep the swelling down.

Just saw a copperhead crawl into my heat pump yesterday. Its going to be a bad year for them.

/ Snake proof fence
Vets will apply an anti-venom and most likely give steriods to keep the swelling down.

Just saw a copperhead crawl into my heat pump yesterday. Its going to be a bad year for them. )</font>

Thanks. My luck. If my wife sees one she will have me building a doggie fortress.

Charlie