Snake proof fence

/ Snake proof fence #1  

CharlieTn

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
I have read that one can make a snake proof fence by burying 3/8 mesh wire and pitching it 30 degrees out.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not it will work ?

If it is doable can anyone suggest a way to dig this 6 incb deep "trench" with a compact tractor?

I was thinking about a small 3pt plow of some sort. I see some for around $140.00

Thanks
Charlie

/ Snake proof fence #2  
Tractor supply sells a sub soiler that I use to trench for running wire and flex water pipe. It will cut a narrow trench that may take some cleaning out to get the fence in the trench. My soil is sand with about a foot of top soil on it and I can make a 10 inch deep trench if I weight the sub soiler down. Sounds like you may have a lady friend like mine, terrified of snakes.

/ Snake proof fence #3  
Are there any power lines up above it? Just run a little connector between the two (make sure to wear gloves and rubber boots) and you'll have a fence that's snakeproof and everything else there is proof! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry, it's late. I couldn't resist. Forgive me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

/ Snake proof fence
Thank you. I was hoping I could get away cheap. Dont laugh, can I use that sub-soiler to plant a garden?

Yes, my wife is scared of snakes and is terrified that one of my 6 dogs will get bit. We are moving from urban NJ to the mountains of Tennessee. Snakes and bugs and bears oh my.

Charlie

/ Snake proof fence
My wife would be afraid the dogs would be toast. But then I would not need the fence. Maybe a plan here.

/ Snake proof fence #6  
Welcome to TN. I live the other end of the state. Sorry I don't post very often, I read the board religiously (you know.. Chistmas and Easter) so anyway; As an FYI only, There are only a couple poisonous snakes out here; water moc's/cotton mouths, a coral or two, and the very occasional eastern rattler. I've got more (non-poisonous) chicken snakes on my little 5a mosquito farm than I could shake a stick at. Good thing, they keep the other vermin down. <gr> On another note, There are several trainers who can "de-snake" your dogs. I'd just ask around for any neighbor who hunts with his dogs. They'll probably either do it or know who can.

/ Snake proof fence #7  
CharlieTn

Maybe you should first look into what the real risk is of losing a dog to snakes. I don’t know that this happens very often because I’ve never heard of anyone having this problem. You could ask how many here at TBN has had this problem. Seems like the logical first step to me.

OH wait..... were talking about a woman's fears...... never mind.... do what ya gota do./forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Snake proof fence #8  
Don't think the sub soiler would be of much help in making a garden unless you have hard soil or lots of small tree roots you need to rip out of the soil.
On snakes in Tn or any other place, it takes a while to adjust to a new enviroment. Once you live in Tn for a while you will find that snakes are not really a big problem, you will learn to live with them in your life. If there are too many snakes, think of raising hogs, they love eating snakes plus raising hogs on enviromental food like grasses etc, they will plow your garden for you as well as fertilize it. Pen them in the area you want worked up and keep them there until the soil is clear of weeds and grasses and then move them to another area to repeat the process. If they have done all the work you need, you can butcher them or sell them.

/ Snake proof fence #9  
Hi, Charlie. I have lived in and own land in several states, but never TN. In each location, I have been fortunate to have worked with an Ag Extension Service representative from a State University Ag Extension Office to learn about soil management, pest management, and administrative property management concerns. In my experience, there is nothing too small or too large for these folks to consider--including identifying harmful pests.. My most recent consultation involves, "Ground Hogs" in Southern Delaware.

Here's a link to your local office. Remember, you pay direct or indirect taxes to suport these services:

Universirty of Tennessee Extension Services Website

/ Snake proof fence
Thank you much. I had no idea that the dogs could be taught to avoid snakes. The wife is just soooo nervous.

Charlie