Wood Chippers Renting vs Buying

/ Wood Chippers Renting vs Buying #21  
That's the thing about Jinma, there is no such thing as a dealer network. People buy them by the cargo container and sell them. You are basically getting a product as is with no real gurantee. I know there is a guy in Texas called "affordable tractor" do a search on him. He frequents the TBN and will ship anywhere in the USA. You might be able to find someone closer to home though. Search this site for jinma chipper, and also just look for any jinma tractor dealer in your area as they commonly get a few of these to fill up a shipping container if they have a little room after the tractors. I think they are a bargain for what you get.

/ Wood Chippers Renting vs Buying #22  
Tim; I'll give it another shot. Thanks much. Did you mention earlier you have one of their chippers? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim; I guess you do have one after rereading the posts I saw what you said. Thanks again. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Wood Chippers Renting vs Buying #23  
I bought this one out of a junkyard for $800. Fix up costs were a battery, new gauges: volt, water & temp, ignition switch & oil change. The existing tach came back to life with the wires reattached. Ford 330 V8 dual exhaust with 16" drum vintage '50's or 60's. It eats anything you can lift up into the tray - one piece - snaps branches as it pulls the trunk in. No license plate needed - Forestry exemption, heavy wags a 6K lb JD A pretty good in the pasture. No safety features & it takes 5 mins to spin down the flywheel but it turns whole trees to mulch in seconds /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 666814-Woodchipper Right Front.jpg
    666814-Woodchipper Right Front.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 377
   / Wood Chippers Renting vs Buying
BarryinMN - I'm impressed that you saw the diamond in the rough. Congrats!

/ Wood Chippers Renting vs Buying #25  
Rent or buy was a choice I had to make also getting back to the wood chippers . I decided to buy a Woodmax 8 inch self feeder . It arrived a couple days ago and have it all together now just waiting for some good weather to try it out . I was quite impressed with the quality of the material and workmanship . It weighs around 900 lbs. so it is quite rugged to say the least . I will give an update after I have had a chance to use it .

/ Wood Chippers Renting vs Buying #26  
Always nice to have feedback...

Was on the verge of buying a Bandit 65 and had a rental scheduled with the cost of the rental going towards a purchase.

Arrived to pick it up and was told they needed my contractor license and I was set to go... I am not a contractor... only the family ranch...

The upshot is I could buy one but not rent one due to liability.

In the interim I found this old retired guy with a 18" chipper... he works by the hour with a four hour minimum... he can supply the machine only with him or with two helpers...

They don't cut down trees and brush as a rule but will go from pile to pile or just keep feeding... so far so good and I don't have to pickup or deliver....

/ Wood Chippers Renting vs Buying #27  
We rented a Vermier wood chipper last February and were very happy with it. Good feed mechanism and it did a great job. When we took it back, I asked how often they rotated their equipment. They indicated that after a full season they would usually sell it and buy new.

They rent it for $100 / day and plan to sell it in the $2,000 - $3,000 ball park. I'm in the same dilema of wanting to own a good chipper but not having the $$. So far I've put up with the invonvenience of renting, but it would be great to have one you could use when you needed it.

I suggest you check out the rental places and see if they have something worth buying.

What model of vermeer chipper rents for $100 a day and sells for $2,000 -3,000?

/ Wood Chippers Renting vs Buying #28  
Eleven years ago... hard to say 2005 vs 2016

/ Wood Chippers Renting vs Buying #29  
LOL. I guess I didn't notice how old this was. I knew that seemed like low pricing.

/ Wood Chippers Renting vs Buying #30  
Rent or buy was a choice I had to make also getting back to the wood chippers . I decided to buy a Woodmax 8 inch self feeder . It arrived a couple days ago and have it all together now just waiting for some good weather to try it out . I was quite impressed with the quality of the material and workmanship . It weighs around 900 lbs. so it is quite rugged to say the least . I will give an update after I have had a chance to use it .

I have put about 4 hrs. on it thus far and very pleased after a couple tweaks . I have been cleaning out a spruce grove of all the dead and smaller trees that can't compete with the larger ones . I have put 6 inch material through it with no problem as well as small twigs . I was hesitant about not getting the hyd. unit but I didn't need it for sure . The power feed roller does a great job. I use it with my 57 HP Kubota which has more power than needed for this unit but does just fine . I have about 12 yards of chips so far which I plan to use in my new back to Eden type garden next year .