Our Telephone Line Saga

/ Our Telephone Line Saga #1  

drm

Silver Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33DA
After much frustration I have decided to post our phone line saga.

A few weeks ago, we were plowing the field along our drive and struck the phone line. About a third of the 800’ of phone line going through our field was dug up (total length of line is almost 1200’). I measured the depth of the exposed phone line to be 8” not 18” – 24” that it was supposed to be installed (the phone co. contracted the install). Several conversations and I now have a “temporary” phone line running on the ground along the driveway from the pole to the house (1200’).

To get a permanent line installed again the phone company originally stated that I would need to dig a trench 24” deep (here we go again see below) and place a 2” PVC pipe with pull line for the new phone line to be installed in the field. We only plow 10 to 12 inches deep. Why the PVC pipe requirement?

After meeting with the local supervisor and contractor that did the original install they are going to plow in the portion of the phone line that is in the field and splice it at each end. Is this going to hold up? How deep is it going to be this time? I have been assured that it will be 18” to 24” deep. When I questioned about the original installation I was told that it was “within tolerance”. Are we going to deal with this every year? It took two months last fall to get phone service and we now have a line lying on the ground for the last two months. Seems to me that the phone co. should put a new line in since that original was not installed correctly.

Do any of the phone guys out there have an opinion? Will the splices work? How good is an in ground box? Can the box support tractor loads? They will be at the ends of our field along our drive.

Thanks for any suggestions...Derek

/ Our Telephone Line Saga
For those who would like to know, following is our saga of the problems associated with getting phone service to begin with:

We purchased our house last Sept. knowing that there was not phone service. There was a phone cable wired to the house and the house was wired for phone service but the phone co. did not hook it up. The previous owner had used cell phones. We later found out that he tried for three or four years to get phone service hooked-up to no avail.

I set up the telephone hook-up for the day after our closing. The phone co. wanted us to wait till we moved in two weeks later but I knew better. The tech never showed to hook-up service; he called it in as no phone service available. I called that afternoon and was told that we would never have phone service because we did not have a right of way. They would not even talk to me about it.

It took two weeks to get someone to look into getting the service installed. It took two more weeks of arguing over the installation. They would not let me “slit” it in with a vibratory plow. I would have to dig a 24” deep x 6” wide trench and leave it open till they could come out to drop the line in. They estimated two weeks from the time I notified them till they would drop the line in. I would have to keep the 1100’ trench cleaned out till they put in the line. This was not acceptable with two small kids and that long of a trench through a corn field, our yard, and across our driveway. How were we going to cross the trench in our driveway to leave? They did not care.

After many more phone calls over the next three weeks they finally agreed to have the line plowed in but we would have to pay for it and they would subcontract it out to the same contractor that I had proposed to use a month prior. The location of the phone line was painted on the ground and my now newly installed asphalt drive. The line would be installed approximately 24” deep but no less than 18”. The 800’ or more that was to be installed through a corn field was marked to be four feet off my driveway and not in the field that started about eight feet from the driveway.

After 2 months we finally had phone service. The phone co. “slit” the line in and I would need to pay for it. They did not install it were marked. They ran the portion in the field farther from the driveway and once out of the field crossed my driveway and went through 300’ of newly planted grass. Of course they tore the yard up doing this and did not even stay close to the drive but went across our yard. They were supposed to run the line on the opposite side of the drive were we had not planted grass yet.

Even though I was not happy about the damage and location we finally had phone service.

…Derek

/ Our Telephone Line Saga #3  
Derek, when I bought my place in the country, the prior owner had a telephone there, so it was no problem for me to get a phone. However, I then moved my parents' mobile home from the coast up to my place, had to get another water meter, set a pole for electric service, get a septic system installed, etc. So a couple of weeks before we moved my parent's mobile home, I called the phone company, was given an installation date and their new phone number. The installation date was a couple of days after the mobile home arrived. When that date came, a telephone service truck arrived, and the guy told me there were no more lines available out there. He said the company had supposedly ordered the material to add more lines, but he had no idea when that would be. I found out that 3 other people had been waiting for a phone line for a long time. No one at the phone company could tell me whether we would be waiting days or weeks or months. So I called the Texas Public Utilities Commission in Austin and that same afternoon a district manager from the phone company called me, the next day they started laying new lines, and a couple of days later my parents, as well as the other people who had been waiting, had a telephone. The neighbors who had been waiting so long wanted to know how I happened to have so much influence. Actually, I had none at all, but apparently that Public Utilities Commission does. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Doesn't your state have a similar commission?

/ Our Telephone Line Saga #4  
More people need to be made aware of their Public Utility Commission. The utility companies are at the mercy of the Public Utility Comissions because they can dictate which service company can provide services to the public. There are enough service companies in most areas to compete for the local contracts, if not, the service companies can be fined for not living up to contractual obligations.

/ Our Telephone Line Saga
Bird,

I thing that we do have a PUC in this area. I did not think to make a call but will certainly do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

...Derek

/ Our Telephone Line Saga #6  
I know in my area that he local phone company will take care of any line buried or otherwise if they originally installed it. They don't use PVC, but use direct burial.

/ Our Telephone Line Saga #7  
Hi Drm. Definitely call your Public Utility Commision. I had a problem with with the phone company several years back concerning around $600 of charges that in no way were we responsible for. I forget the exact circumstances, but I had several conversations with phone company reps that agreed with me, and each conversation ended with them telling me the charges would be removed. This went on for over a year, and I was continually billed for these charges, with mounting late fees!! After one call to the PUC, within two hours a phone company exec called me back and the problem was solved. The PUC holds a lot of power over the utility companies, and unresolved complaints, among other things are considered when these companies seek rate hikes, which are also reviewed by the PUC. Seems to me that you've been more than patient with your phone company...make the call and let us know how it turns out.

...Tony

/ Our Telephone Line Saga #8  
<font color="blue"> ...I was told that it was “within tolerance”. </font> Then the code would say 8" to 24". But then the contractor saved time by only going 8".

I also question the contractors route vs. the indicated route. Did he benifit in a shorter route. You paid for x number of feet of cable 18"-24" in the ground. I would ask them for a breakout of labor and materials and then adjust the payment accordingly. Any portion less than the specfied depth is substandard and therefore I wouldn't pay a dime.

Send all correspondence to the phone company in writting with c.c. to the PUC.

/ Our Telephone Line Saga #9  
Obviously, the best thing to do is to inform yourself of your rights and obligations. It seems to me the phone line is your responsibility, so its kinda hard to believe they are in a position to dictate using PVC, which primarily helps for replacement.
Of course, a pipe helps spare the cable from being cut by rocks, etc., during backfilling.

I installed my phone line, and the phone company dropped off a spool of 3 pair direct burial cable.

Being as the phone line is low voltage, I'm surprised they mentioned PVC. I have run direct burial lines through plastic water pipe which protects them and allows pul through. The advantage of water pipe is that it is cheap, flexible, and comes in long lengths.

Much as I enjoy backhoe work, consider renting a trencher. It'll go much faster and save wear and tear on your baby.

/ Our Telephone Line Saga #10  
You know what really blows my mind? Having to put a 2" doggone conduit in for their itty bitty stinkin' phone line. I had to do the same thing and they wouldn't budge. I had to trench around boulders, trees, and put down a 3" for the electrical and the 2" for the phone line. It's a rediculous waste of resources, REDICULOUS!