Seeding a steep slope

/ Seeding a steep slope #21  
Doug,

I looked at the nortech unit and also noticed you have a 2230. Do you feel that's all your Kubota can handle? Do you think it could power the 5 foot? I didn't see any specs on their site.

Also curious what your's cost, if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks.
ron

/ Seeding a steep slope
Doug,

It looks great. What a lot of work. Don't forget to find some time to enjoy the summer.

It was about 90 deg. today and I spent most of it regrading the slope (occasionally with one front wheel in the air....very slowly). My wife nearly dragged me off the tractor and forced me to have a picnic dinner down at a quite place on the river where we could let the dog swim and cool off ourselves. I needed to be reminded that summer is short and sometimes you just have to let the work go and enjoy it while it's here. I'll start in a again tomorrow morning but for tonight, the break was well worth it.

Tom

/ Seeding a steep slope #23  
Looks as though you're about done, and good job.

What I used on sloped areas when I had my carriage house built was Seed Protector Mats made out of fiberglass-like material. Lowes has them in 60' lengths and are easy to handle and degrade fairly soon, and the grass comes up nicely through it. Our local Southern States has some in 300' lengths. They're heavier, not only because they're longer. About busted my back putting them down. Some of the innerweaving of those put down in 2001/2002 is STILL there.

Ralph

/ Seeding a steep slope
Ralph,

I called all over today and no one has any roll out straw or other material mats anywhere in this area, other than Agway. No "Lowes" around here and "Home Depot" doesn't have any. Agway has one roll of 6' X 130' straw roll, and can order more, at $49/ea.. For the 8-10 I'll need, they'd take off 10%. I hate to spend up to $450, just to keep the seed in place until it takes but, I may have to. We had another "gully-washer" today. I didn't lose any trees, or too much fill but, many large trees did come down in a 30 minute heavy thunderstorm. As soon as I get a firm date on delivery of mats, I'll have the rest of the topsoil delivered and maybe finally get this job put to bed 'til the mowing. If I ever get it finished, I'll post some nice "green" pictures (including that green tractor mowing /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif).

Tom

/ Seeding a steep slope
Bill,

Thanks. We don't have a "Super" Walmart but, we do have a smaller one. I have to be up near all the "box stores" later today and will check with Walmart, re-check with Home Depot, etc.. 2 1/2' X 56' sounds a little easier to manage. They do seem a bit expensive (i.e. over $100 per 1000 sq. ft. as opposed to what I was quoted at Agway which works out to be about $60 per 1000 sq. ft.). Thanks for the heads up though, I'll check.

Tom

/ Seeding a steep slope #27  
I paid $3850 for the nortec rake. Retail is $5395. I called and talked to a nortec rep named Dennis. He was very helpful and pointed me in the direction of a dealer (service motors, stevens point, wi) that had a rake in stock. The reason for the 4ft vs. the 5ft was basically the fact that they had it in stock and I could get it right away. He told me the rake was developed and tested using a BX2200 and that the BX could handle either one no problem. I never asked about the price for the 5ft model. I am sure you can call Dennis and he will give you the retail $ on the 5ft.

I will be trying it out this weekend. I will take some pictures and post them.

Doug

/ Seeding a steep slope
Bob, and all,

Thanks for all the suggestions. My CFO doesn't like the crown vetch /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif and the Buffulo Grass and Blue Stem would take too long to get here, for now. Sod is way to expensive and spraying is not an affordable option.

I found 8' X 135' "Straw Rolls" at local Agway for $49/roll (minus 10% for qty of 8). They also guaranteed me their rye/fescue/silkgrass "Sun Slope" seed mix will germinate in this weather (80's and 90's, high humidity) when covered with the straw and well watered. I plan to mix in some red clover too. If it all grows, I'll overseed with cool season seed in the Fall. So, with that waiting in my shed, the topsoil starts coming today. HOPEFULLY, with no more heavy downpours, by the 4th all will be topsoiled, smoothed, seeded, and covered with straw rolls or just straw for the gentle slope area. If I don't post pic.'s by monday night, you'll know it all washed off and I'm busy PAVING the whole D#$%$# area /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Happy 4th all.

Tom

/ Seeding a steep slope #29  
New Kubota bx2230 in the barn.

Attachments

• 685126-kubota1.jpg
    685126-kubota1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 250
   / Seeding a steep slope #30  
Tom,

Best of luck with the seeding!

Doug

My grass 4 weekes after I started.