Backhoe Project

/ Backhoe Project #1  

RobS

Tractor
None!
Hauled my tractor over to a buds last night to dig a hole for him. Turned out to be the biggest hole I've dug so far. Thought I'd share some observations and ask a couple questions.

The hole is for a septic tank (he's putting a bathroom in his barn). 80" round (plus clearance) and six feet deep. We marked it square and left the corners ragged. Access was limited by the barn on one corner and the need to have one side open for the tank delivery truck. Took the top soil off (6-8") and pushed it way back. Then started digging for real.

Several things became evident during this time: 1) We haven't had rain for weeks! 2) Efficiency becomes critical as the rain clouds move in! 3) 15 miles can make a huge difference in soil type.

The ground was rock hard but my little hoe was able to get through it. At my house, the soil is very sandy. This guy lives about 15 miles due south and his soil was clay. It did rain for a while (welcome rain as it's been so dry) but that clay turns into slime with a bit of water.

The short reach on my backhoe meant I had to move the spoils pile several times. No big deal but it did affect efficiency. The engineer in me was constantly studying the work. In the end, the only "value" in a dig cycle was the bucket picking up dirt and emptying to the pile. All the other motions would be considered waste (at least in the auto industry). The deeper the hole got, the more waste which meant I really had to focus on my movements to minimize the waste. Call me a geek, but I felt very challenged to keep my motions as smooth and efficient as possible, particularly with that rain moving in. Also wanted to ensure a full bucket each time with no spilling on the way up. I'm guessing a commercial excavator has much smoother controls for the operator ('cause the occasional jerkiness I felt couldn't have possibly been my fault /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ).

The depth was a stretch for my machine but we mostly got it. Ended up with a small pile of loose material in the middle of the hole that he can shovel out, or use to make final grade adjustments. I sure am glad I didn't have to make nice square corners for him. How do you do that?

Overall, it was huge fun. Took about two hours and we both looked at the pile of dirt imagining doing all that with a hand shovel.

Somehow though, straight sides, square corners and a flat bottom still seem elusive. Improvement ideas welcome /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Backhoe Project #2  
From your description, I'd say you did a great job. Getting a square corner requires sacrificing depth. If your hoe stick is maxed out on your depth, then a round corner is part of the deal.

When you empty your bucket, did you also try to push over the pile of dirt in the same motion. There's a limit to how much dirt you can have in your pile before it falls back into your hole, but you can max that out by pushing it over while working.

If you have a full bucket, then a little spilage is acceptable. It just means you go all you can in that load.

You were lucky the clay turned to slime. When it turns to glue is when you really have trouble. Nothing will get it out of your bucket!!! Clay has it's good points, but when it's wet, it's the worse stuff around.

I'm curious about his leach field in the clay. How many bathrooms, and what size is the field. Any specs you can give would be appreciated, and pictures would be even better.

Thanks,
Eddie

/ Backhoe Project #3  
Rob, great descriptive summary of the events.

Your soil observations and distances from your property are exactly mine. My brother is about 15 (E-NE) miles from my house, my office is 17 miles (N) from my house. The tractors react totally differently on the 3 properties due to the soil condition being so dramatically different. I think that is what taught me to make such qualified statements about implement recommendations here on TBN!

When digging a big hole with a BH (or when digging any hole but where the tractor is in a position where it is difficult to reposition the whole machine), I think the most frustrating thing is what to do with the spoils that come out of the hole. TWO tractors make this job so much easier! One operator working the BH while the other moves the spoils with the FEL!

Or simply go out and buy a mini-excavator because you can dump the spoils in a 360 degree range and slide the whole unit around the hole as you dig it, while you are digging . . . Hey Rob, since we live pretty close to each other we can time a trip so BOTH the lovely Mrs_Bob and Mrs_RobS are out of town at the same time you & I can arrange for a special delivery to the driveway and we can share a new Kobelco or CAT mini-excavator, sort of a joint custody thing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Backhoe Project
<font color="blue"> pictures would be even better </font>

Sorry my friends, I've let you down. I loaded up the night before and left for his house straight from work. Didn't think about the camera until I got there and it was at home.

I asked him about field and such. He's keeping it all real simple and basically putting in a drywell. He doesn't expect to use this bathroom much so he may be OK. I guess that's his problem, not mine. He thought we'd hit some sand somewhere down there but it was pure clay.

I will learn more about that clay as I clean up my tractor tonight. I noticed some accumulation in the bucket and the tires and such are pretty well coated. Hope it doesn't dry out too much today /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Backhoe Project
<font color="blue"> since we live pretty close to each other we can time a trip so BOTH the lovely Mrs_Bob and Mrs_RobS are out of town at the same time you & I can arrange for a special delivery to the driveway and we can share a new Kobelco or CAT mini-excavator, sort of a joint custody thing </font>

Hey, I love the idea! Of course, we'll need about a six yard dump truck and appropriately sized trailer to move it back and forth.

To EddieWalkers point about pushing the spoils sideways on the unload: I did some of that, but I was trying to be delicate as I've heard sideloading is one of the more abusive things on these little hoes. The swing relief seems to confirm that suspicion.

More hydraulic flow for faster cycle times is what I was longing for /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Backhoe Project #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
To EddieWalkers point about pushing the spoils sideways on the unload: I did some of that, but I was trying to be delicate as I've heard sideloading is one of the more abusive things on these little hoes. )</font>

Sorry Rob, I wasn't very clear.

I wasn't suggesting you push the pile with the side of your bucket, but wiht the bottom of your bucket when you empty it.

When you position your bucket over the pile to dump it, just lower it until it is touching the top of the pile. When you open the bucket, you are also pushing the pile further away. You can do this with an empty bucket also. Just keep pushing with the bucket in the open position and your teeth down.

This will give your pile a larger footprint, and allow you to put more dirt there without having to repostion it as often. There is a limit to how far you can push the pile, and how high you can make it, but for me it's usually enough to get done what I need to.

I've got some digging to do in the next week and can take pictures if you want.

Eddie

/ Backhoe Project
Gotcha Eddie, that makes perfect sense now. I'll have to perfect that skill on my next dig, whenever that may be /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Backhoe Project #8  
<font color="red">
Hey, I love the idea! Of course, we'll need about a six yard dump truck and appropriately sized trailer to move it back and forth.
</font>

I've already got a fleet of trucks that are capable of pulling the trailer. Now are you going to upgrade your trailer or do I have to?

/ Backhoe Project
<font color="blue">I've already got a fleet of trucks that are capable of pulling the trailer </font>

Aah, but are any of them capable of hauling and dumping various building/landscape materials that we may need from time-to-time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif