Fence Post Spacing

/ Fence Post Spacing #1  

DTCOOPER

Bronze Member
Tractor
02 CIH D33
Howdy everyone,
I am putting up 47" field fence around about a 4 acre section of my place. Using 6-1/2 T Posts, and pipe corners with H braces welded every 330' (end of roll).
Question, in the black dirt that I have in my area, how far apart may I space the T-posts ?
I have heard varying suggestions everywhere from 6'-15'.
What say the masses?

/ Fence Post Spacing #2  
We typically space 10 feet on flat ground and 8 feet or shorter on uneven ground. The shorter spacing will allow you to keep your wire even above the top of the ground, or as best as possible.

/ Fence Post Spacing #3  
The 'mass' from here would first consider what the fence was for, how tall and straight it needed to 'look' in the future, and how 'wet' the black dirt could get and what happens to that black dirt when it is wet.
All will dictate the answer, IMO.
Good luck. Maybe looking over some neighbor fences for those clues, but personnaly, I take a shot at 10' if in doubt.
If there is a bull in the fence, more closer than 10'. If chickens, then maybe 12'. Just guessing. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
With just a fence in the field, and those good corners and H braces every 330', maybe two or three posts in between for looks is all you'd need to hold the weeds up. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Fence Post Spacing #4  
I used 10' and it worked good.

I also used a 47" field fence and metal T-Posts. The only difference is I used wood post for the corners. It makes a lot better fence if you concrete in your corners and brace posts. 330' is a long way for brace "H" sections but will do. I had so many changes of elevation in our fence we always ended up with a "H" section for elevation change before we reached the 330' mark.

Good luck...

/ Fence Post Spacing
47" tall field fence, 1 strand of barbed wire above it. Barbados, 2 donkeys, and a horse or two. There is an old barbed wire fence there now with about 10' spacing. Seems to be pretty darned old. Posts are still straight. So with that in mind I think the ground will hold posts pretty well.

/ Fence Post Spacing #6  
<font color="blue">47" tall field fence, 1 strand of barbed wire above it. Barbados, 2 donkeys, and a horse or two. </font>
I don't mean to offend, but barbed wire should never be used to fence in horses and donkeys.

/ Fence Post Spacing
no offense taken... Would you suggest just a smooth bare wire? Or do you think there is even any need for a top wire?

/ Fence Post Spacing #8  
I am not sure what field fence is, but the fence should not be anything a horse can get caught in, particularly with their hooves/legs.

Since I do not use a wire fence for our horses (we use Horseguard Fencing) I am not familiar with what should be used. However, there are others here on TBN who are. I'd also suggest electrifying the fence (we use a Parmak solar charger). Our horses used to push on the fence, they don't do that anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Maybe wroughten_harv will chime in. I think it's called no-climb fencing? You might also check out Kencove. They have a lot of info about fencing

/ Fence Post Spacing #9  
Barbed wire isn't the devil that folks make it out to be as long as you have horses that are smart enough to not try and climb/charge thru the fence. If you have horses that are going to try and crash thru a fence they will find a way to hurt themselves if you made a fence out of pillows and blankets.

As an alternative to the barbed wire you can put a smooth electrified wire on top. If you don't have something on top to keep the horses from trying to graze whatever is on the other side your fencing will have sags between the posts before you know it.

/ Fence Post Spacing #10  
Daniel,
I would do a little research on your fence. Since you mentioned "horse" you have to follow a different set of rules to keep your horse safe. If you use mesh, it should be 2X4 inch or smaller to keep your horse from putting its hoofs thru it. There should be no barb wire to hurt your horse. It should have a hot wire at the top. Spacing should be about 8'. Remember, your horse will lean on it if he can. A very good place to start would be to visit EquiSearch (example article) and search on fences. Better to do the fence right than to pay vet bills /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope this helps
NevadaSmith