Tractor helps me put in front stairs.

/ Tractor helps me put in front stairs. #1  

jim_wilson

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200 w/ BH77 & 12", 18" & 24" buckets, Kubota B50 SSQA w/ 54" & 60" buckets, LandPride FDR1660, Artillian Fork frame, Extreme 3pt rake, Concrete Mixer, MyTractorTools grapple adapter
A couple of years ago now I added a second floor onto my ranch style house. As part of that project the original front steps were ripped out and a roof was added over the front door. The intent is to enclose the area and make it into a glass enclosed entry. When I did that I ran out out time to add the stairs so I am finally getting around to it now. I am waiting for approval to start my garage now that I finally have the foundation hole finished so I figured I would tackle some of the other outstanding jobs. It took me one weekend plus a few hours after work a few nights to dig out the hole and then fill it back in with a few boulders I had laying around from previous excavations.

When the original stairs were ripped out I used the original pad that had been put down 45 years ago. I thought at first I was going to have to rip it out but found out that it was still perfectly level. I also discovered that was because the original builders had put the pad on top of some big rocks when they poured it. So I figured if it worked for them it will work for me - and I had plenty of rocks.

Attachments

• 708965-slabhole_1.jpg
    708965-slabhole_1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 528
   / Tractor helps me put in front stairs.
Another view - a couple of the rocks were so big the BX23 would not lift them - I had roll, push, and manhandle them using the FEL and backhoe all the way from the back yard up to the hole and then I just rolled them in.

Attachments

• 708967-slabhole2.jpg
    708967-slabhole2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 438
another view....

Attachments

• 708969-slabhole_3.jpg
    708969-slabhole_3.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 352
I need the pad to be level because I am going to do another concrete pour on top of the pad to build up a structure that will support the granite stair treads. So I built a simple form to give me something to level the concrete to.

Attachments

• 708971-slabhole_4.jpg
    708971-slabhole_4.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 365
Another view - the BX23 is in the background taking a rest.

Attachments

• 708973-slabhole_5.jpg
    708973-slabhole_5.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 418
These pics actually got taken earlier this week, the pad has already been poured and I spent the day today building the form for the structure that will sit on the pad. Forgot to take pics but will take some more in the morning. Tomorrow I spend the day mixing and pouring more concrete - I need to get that done because next week I am on vacation for a few days and next weekend they should bring the granite stair treads.

/ Tractor helps me put in front stairs. #7  
I was starting to wonder where the tractor was. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Nice set of pictures. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Looking forward to pics of completed project.

/ Tractor helps me put in front stairs. #8  
Hey I didn't think shovels were allowed! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Allen

As much as I would like to I can't do quite everything with the tractor. I got the pad poured and this past weekend put together a form for the stairs. The stairs will wind to one side so the form that will support the granite stair treads needs to wind too.

Attachments

• 710463-stair_form1.jpg
    710463-stair_form1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 516
Another view...

Attachments

• 710464-stair_form2.jpg
    710464-stair_form2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 259