Putting Water Hydrants In

/ Putting Water Hydrants In
After that I leveled and backfilled and it was time for a couple inspections. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here are the inspectors /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 729250-IMG_5667.jpg
    729250-IMG_5667.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 287
And Sully and I standing by the finished northern hydrant.

Attachments

• 729251-IMG_5648.jpg
    729251-IMG_5648.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 261
Just to give you an idea of how long these puppies are. Here is the South hydrant before installation.

Attachments

• 729252-IMG_5641.jpg
    729252-IMG_5641.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 284
Here is a shot of the pit for the South hydrant. You can see a concrete block in the bottom. This serves as a seat for the hydrant to alleviate stress from down pressures caused when the water is releasted from the valve.

That's a 6 ft ladder for reference.

Attachments

• 729257-IMG_5681.jpg
    729257-IMG_5681.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 264
here I am making final adjustments and backfilling with pea gravel.

Attachments

• 729260-IMG_5684.jpg
    729260-IMG_5684.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 249
And finally the finished South hydrant. I still have to do some work to connect the lines to the main water source later. I am having some other excavation done near the water entrance to the house to repair my geothermal leak, and I will connect them at that time. That'll be in 2-3 weeks so I'll post the updates then. Thanks for watching!

Attachments

• 729262-IMG_5706.jpg
    729262-IMG_5706.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 254
   / Putting Water Hydrants In #47  
Great project Tim /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Putting Water Hydrants In #48  
<font color="blue"> The water line will need to go under my septic line </font>

My parents shared a well with a neighbor, they, the neighbors and my parents started having intestinal problems, i.e. getting sick etc. They got the water tested and it had a high level of fecal bacteria in it. It seems the neighbor installed a leaky septic line over the water line and it was contaminating the fresh water somehow. The county made them move their septic line so it was under the fresh water line, turns out it was contrary to code. I wouldn't have thought there was anyway for it to leak into the water pipe but somebody said something about capillary (sp?) action.

cqaigy,

thanks for the concern with this. I considered this but I really didn't have a choice in this instance, and the line is out to my livestock and will not be drinking water for humans. Having said that the lines are not leaky and the soils involved did not have any unusual odors or discolorations. Also there will be approximatedly 5ft between the two. The water line will not have any joints nearby the crossing, and as far as a capilary action I can't see them letting people run potable water through this pipe if it wasn't rated to keep the inside material safe. In addition to that the primary ground material is hard clay which they use for retaining leachate in many instances, so it will form a natural barrier of sorts between the two.

One of my other thoughts on this is that this must happen in cities all the time with services crossing. When you need to get from point a to point b, there's really no way around it.