Quick and cheap retaining wall...

/ Quick and cheap retaining wall... #1  

BillCroasmun

Gold Member
Tractor
PT-180
I brought my driveway up next to the garage and the back corner of the fill is tapered off about 3' out for a 3' drop. I want to clean this up and minimize the dirt washing out. (picture shows area during the filling process).

I was looking around online for the cheapest and quickest way to build a retaining wall for this and found a website that talked about using earthbags. Basically poly-bags filled with dirt. This sounds both cheap and quick! I've never did anything like this before and figured I'd ask the collective wealth of knowledge here what you all think.

Eventually I will want this wall to look nice and I am thinking if the bags work well I can just dress up the outside of it. I could use stone or wood to make a façade front that would probably be cheap as well since it wouldn't have to support any loads.

Any thoughts, advice and/or ideas are welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 719983-garage_drive.bmp
    74.7 KB · Views: 3,184
   / Quick and cheap retaining wall... #2  
""This sounds both cheap and quick!""

and it also 'sounds' to me like it won't last long. What keeps the bags intact?

Have you looked at the manufactured 'stones' designed for retaining walls, and I've seen them at the box stores?

How does the cost compare to the 'cheap and quick' bags of dirt?

/ Quick and cheap retaining wall... #3  
Well, it sounds to me that you don't need much help here. Fill the contents of the bag with some portland and you'll be good to go. Of course you'll need to step the wall so it doesn't give.

/ Quick and cheap retaining wall... #4  
Not sure what a "poly" bag is, but if it's plastic, then it's just a matter of time untile it breaks open and washes away. Not a very good solution.

If you want cheap, start by building it up with more dirt and grading the slope to a managable degree then planting grass.

An old hardwood log would do the job without costing you anything.

If there's a construction job around someplace, look for busted up concrete. It's not a look I like, but it's better than plastic bags.

Preasure Treated wood works well, is afordable and will last 10 to 20 years depending on your soil and weather conditions.

Of course, retaining wall blocks will work the best, give you the nicest apearance and be something you can forget about once it's done. No need to do the full three feet height, do just the bottom two or three rows to slow the erosion down and add to it over time.

Eddie

/ Quick and cheap retaining wall...
   / Quick and cheap retaining wall... #6  
The poly bags being refered to are quite frequently used to reinforce banks of culverts, rentntion pomd and drainage ditch over flow pipes as well as roadway embankments. The bags are mixed with concrete contents or premixed concrete. The bags with the dry mix are wet down after placed. Another time saving measure I see used alot is to just buy bags of premix and lay them as brick. Wet them down or just allow the rain and ground water to absorb into bag over time. Eventually the bag desintigrates. Not pretty but if done right looks ok after bags rot away.

/ Quick and cheap retaining wall... #7  
Bill,

Are Gabions an option?

Brian

/ Quick and cheap retaining wall... #9  
Sounds like you are convinced to go this route. Good luck, and let us know how it works out. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If mixed with Portland, then they may be solid enough to stay put but I would worry about what the freezing, thawing, wetting, drying would do over time. I wouldn't invest my money into them. But I really do hope they work out good for you.

/ Quick and cheap retaining wall...
Eddie - I really can't extend the slope more as it would start to go into an area that would get in the way of another area I'm tring to flatten. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif The concrete would be OK but I am trying to keep it down to a cleaner look than that. I know picky, picky, picky. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Cowboyjg - Thanks for the added info. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brian - Never heard of gabions. I'll look them up thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charlie - The only RR ties I can find are new ones at HD and Lowes. About 9$ a pop. I've heard you can get recycled/recovered ones cheaper but don't know where or who to ask. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Beenthere - I'm not set on any method, I was just letting everyone know what I read and looked up about the earthbags. I'm open to all ideas! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My main priority on this one is to keep erosion at bay, look somewhat clean and mainly do it cheap. My original thought was the RR ties but I don't want to spend as much as new ones cost. Would building up some forms and pouring concrete walls be cheaper? How thick do you think I'd need to make it? I'm in NE Ohio so I'd have to have some kind of footer as well... What about a concrete block wall? The retaining blocks you guys are talking about I assume are the decorative ones?!? I'm sure they don't make any of those as cheap as the RR ties would they?

Thanks again for any ideas!