Driveway Parking Area Construction Help

/ Driveway Parking Area Construction Help #11  
What does the overall area look like for drainage, slope and surface water running onto the pad? Just wondering what the ground contours are like as this could make a big difference in how the project is designed.

Egon

/ Driveway Parking Area Construction Help #12  
I'd steepen the gradient now. If you had a free draining base, you could get away with a shallow fall but your photograph suggests that your base is clay and impervious. If water is allowed to lie on it, you'll have problems.

/ Driveway Parking Area Construction Help #13  
From what I see (muck), I would be for getting the area drained, be it by ditching or tiling before working over that muck. Its a money hole, as suggested.

Dry it out first with tile, waterways, french drains, culverts, and/or whatever it takes.

Wish you luck.

/ Driveway Parking Area Construction Help #14  
Wes,

What is your total depth of 3" stone from the fabric? You say "two dump truck loads"...which I figure is over the entire length.

/ Driveway Parking Area Construction Help #15  
The "fabric" I purchased recently was not cheap. The rolls were 12.5 feet wide and 375 feet long....they run about $375 per roll. It's brutal stuff and will dull a utility knife in just a couple of long cuts. I got mine for a local industrial place that sells pipe and drainage tile etc. Personally, I'd stay away from the cheap stuff at HD. Why risk it when you're doing so much work on such a important and long term project.

/ Driveway Parking Area Construction Help #16  
Jim,

You purchased the real stuff. Something for weeds will work and may even last for awhile, but is not suitable for vehicle loads over time. It punctures too easily to maintain integrity under those conditions.

As for the slope I'd recommend 1/4" per 1' mimimum for gravel and 1/8" per 1' on asphalt. At the mimimums you need pros holding those tight grade tolerances. Since I/we probably aren't, I'd double the fall for surface only runoff (no ditching or daylighting as others have correctly stated as an option).

As for that slime/ muck. Get it out of there and replace with decent compacted fill, unless you want a yearly maintenance project. There are options if that stuff is bottomless, but that's another post.

HTH