Finished grade for swale

/ Finished grade for swale #1  

HomeBrew2

Banned
Tractor
Kubota BX23
There's been lots of conversation about using a "farm" tractor as a "construction" tractor for making grade.

My entire property drains well all by itself, but this particular area is mostly dead flat due to it's alignment with the house pad ... that means, the swale only has a slope of 0.5%. That's really not even optimal for an AC (asphaltic concrete) swale. But, it is a mostly un-used area and with enough hydraulic head, it'll flow.
Anywhoo, the reason for my post is to pass along a pic of something that workes for me ... setting a string line, c-clamping a 2x4 on the top of the box blade and making it happen .... a slow but achievable process. (my BB is 18" tall. the string line is set 18" above finish grade.)
Cheers!

Attachments

• 741348-DSCN1881c.jpg
    741348-DSCN1881c.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 596
   / Finished grade for swale #2  
Something looks to be working real well. Good idea.

Nothing wrong with half a percent on AC. That's what we use as a minimum design slope here in WA, and we know they can't build them perfect.

/ Finished grade for swale #3  
The only thing that flat around here are airport runways. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How do you keep the BB level with the string? Do you constantly adjust the height with the lever as you go?

Thanks.

/ Finished grade for swale
Yep, constantly adjust the height with the lever as you go.