Building little shed... is floor strong enough?

/ Building little shed... is floor strong enough? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
If you've been to Home Depot, you might have noticed the sheds they have outside that you can have made for you.

We've taken the second largest one (12x16) and are going to essentially copy it but make it 16x16.

For the floor joists, I'm planning on using 2x6's that would be 24" on center just like the one they used. I was origionally planning on using 3/4" plywood as the floor.

Ok, here's the question, we'll be storing the mower in there. My current mower isn't long for this world. I've been debating on getting a Kubota ZTR. The larger unit has a listed weight of just over 1,600 lbs.

Upshot, will 3/4" plywood flooring with 24" oc joists undernieth be strong enough?

For some reason I'm getting nervous about that.

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If it's not sturdy enough, what might you suggest?

/ Building little shed... is floor strong enough? #2  
I would put in the extra 2x6's and make it 16 inches on center. Better to error on the safe side. The 3/4" plywood should work but I would stagger the sheets.
Farwell

/ Building little shed... is floor strong enough? #3  
Ditto with Farwell on the joists. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I would also use 3/4" T&G treated for the floor, fastened with stainless fasteners. Also use stainless hardware such as joist hangers etc. Good luck. Keeo us posted Richard. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Building little shed... is floor strong enough?
Thanks for the thoughts. I'd thought of using the 24" OC just to be standard as they did it (easier to copy /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif) Then I got to thinking if I toss a ZTR in there then I might have issues.

Perhaps this will be a small yet fast enough project where I can take some pics as I go.

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Building little shed... is floor strong enough? #5  
Richard; Now you know by now that photos are required mister. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Have fun building. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Building little shed... is floor strong enough? #6  
you can also run the mower in on some planks, this will spead the load over more then 1 or 2 joists

/ Building little shed... is floor strong enough? #7  
Richard,

The 3/4" flooring is the choice. If you went with 1/2" then 16" on center floor joists would be needed. My point there is that if you screw and glue the flooring, 24"o/c for your floor joists will be sufficient. Stainless screws and or HDG nails should be used. Any hangers or brackets can be z-max. Most of the Simpson product line is available that way. I guess that you will be keeping the shed off the ground on non-wood supports of some kind???!!! Any opportunity to avoid wood to ground contact should be used. HD in Fla (at least in my area) does not have sheds. That said, I can't say I know how they are constructed where you are except that if you want added stability you can put 2x6 blocking in the floor 1/3 of the way in from the sides. Have fun with you shed project.

Here is a shot of what I put together for the Mrs. 10x16 house's all the lawn stuff, tools and her potting/plant things.

/ Building little shed... is floor strong enough? #8  
I believe that the 16" OC with 3/4" plywood construction is generally required for 40lb per square foot average loading in residential construction (granted that you also have to take into account the length and depth of the joists and the spacing of the posts/ground contact points).

What I have never looked into was the capacity of plywood with respect to point loads. I am sure that there is a maximum PSI value that if exceeded - the plywood will give. However, given that the wheels spread the weight among four pads (each with some number of square inches of surface area). The 16" OC construction will probably be more than sufficent for a small to medium size mower (remember - human feet can place several hundred pounds on two very small surface areas and the 16" O.C. plywood spacing is designed with this in mind). Any thing larger than a medium size mower should probably be looked at very carefully (although a larger mower will have larger tires - and therefore more weight distribution).

I am in the process of putting up a couple of 10x12s (his and hers) and will be pouring concrete pads for both. I am not doing this for strength - but rather for height. The problem with a wood floor is that it raises the shed height annoying high and requires a ramp if you want to roll things in/out. With concrete - I build it four inches above grade and use large pavers to bridge the gap with ground level (wheels on outdoor equipment can take a one inch elevation change without problem). The other advantage of concrete is that it is cheaper than wood for a given floor size (at least the last time I looked - it has likely changed since Katrina).

Anyways - those are my two cents.

Joe

/ Building little shed... is floor strong enough? #9  
I too started with the model in HD parking lot. It was 16X16, but I wanted 16X20. I took pics of every detail and copious notes, then sent it off to draftman to produce drawings for building permit. I tried every avenue I could think, but noone was willing to sell me just the plans. This was winter 2003/04. After we started building, my wife made suggestions. Enclosed pic is what it looked like 05/05. It isn't done yet.

BTW, go with 16" OC, if my math is right, it's only 4 more 2x6's.

David

Attachments

• 742035-Shed.jpg
    742035-Shed.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 688
   / Building little shed... is floor strong enough? #10  
I have a shed built just like yours will be. I parked a kubota B6000 in there as well as 2 other lawn tractors with no worries. I am only using 1/2'' boards on the floor with about 14'' between 2x4s. Combined load over about 6x14' 2700lb.
I think youll be fine. I have phoos is you want to see.
Thanks