Home security question

/ Home security question #1  

tillboy2001

Gold Member
Due to a recent break-in in the neighborhood, we've been thinking about some type of monitoring. Not with ADT for example, but one amongst ourselves. There are four households here next to each other, all with relatives. We'd like to find something wireless maybe...just audio monitoring. Each house is about 300 to 500 feet apart. One house has ADT already. But the thinking is, if we can find something that we can turn on or off when needed (when we're not home - turn on) that monitors just audio...and say one of us is home and the rest of us turns on their monitor...the person home can listen for anything out of the ordinary. Just a simple way to keep an eye on the other person's stuff, you know. Nothing elaborate. It doesn't even have to be wireless. Think baby monitor. You know, how a baby monitor is sound activated? If it picks up noise it transmits that to a reciever? That's sort of what we're looking for, but longer distance of course. And again, doesn't have to be wireless if it works. We can always rent a trencher and bury the wire.

Any ideas? Anyone know of a solution like this out there anywhere? I guess the big part is the distance involved (maybe 1000' from one end house to the other, with 2 houses between those). Thanks

/ Home security question #2  
I use a product called Reporter. It is a device that is wireless and generally used to let you know when someone is pulling into your driveway. I have two transmitters that trigger a buzzer when something crosses its path. One transmitter has one buzz the other has two buzzes. According to the literature that comes with it the signal will transmit around 1000 feet. Research it on the Internet, it may be adaptable to do what you want. The transmitters are battery operated and the receiver is AC powered. They work too well for me, you should hear the 4:00 in the morning buzzes triggered by the deer that show up to eat my apples at all hours of the night.
Farwell

/ Home security question #3  
Do yo all have dsl/cable internet? The reason I say this is the internet is always on.
If you do, then just get some cheap webcam with sound & use that - you could even get a wireless webcam & put a couple of them up.
One more thing if you do that you cold get a cheep website for you guys & auto upload the webcams (WAY EASY) then you could monitor it anywhere in the world there is internet.

/ Home security question
Thanks for the suggestions guys. As far as the web cam goes, I'm the only one that regularly uses a computer. One of the homes is our grandparents and they wouldn't have a computer if you gave it to them. Heck, they won't even have a microwave! LOL /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Home security question #5  
Sounds like the Grand Parents have a few less items for the local thieves to steal.
Many times the folks doing the local stealing live in the immediate neighborhood and are males between the age of 12 and 20.
I thought about the web cam idea but where I live the occasional power outage would shut down the computers without power back up.
Farwell

/ Home security question
We think this might be the work of a local kid (on our street). The only thing stolen was a Sony Playstation. And we do know there's a house with a person that's served time (within view of our house)...they have kids/teens and we know one of them is an idiot for sure. He called my mother-in-law the "B" word when she tried to shoo off a dog from her yard - I guess it was his. Then there's another house just out of view and they have kids that have been kicked out of 3 schools for drugs. Maybe he needed some drug money, eh? Just a few possibilities. The house that was broken into (actually, a trailer - one that my in-law's rent out to a nice young couple) is directly across the street from a county cop. He's the one investigating. It happened in the middle of the day too. Since it happened in the middle of the day, that's sort of why we think it might be someone that lives nearby and knows who's home and who's not.

/ Home security question #8  
I found this item on Ebay that may help you with your security project.
Autodialling Home Alarm System
Easy Fit Security System Calls 5 Numbers Item number: 6003783517
Take a look at it. It may not serve your purpose but may give you an idea or two.
Farwell

/ Home security question #10  
Radioshack does (did? ) make a small cheapo 99$? security system kit ( upgradeable ) that had a couple window / door wireless sensors, and a garage / room proximity sensor. ( all sensors wireless.. has wireless keypad and keychain remote. ) can hook up external siren or use built inone. you can program tel numbers for it to dial and play a recorded message.. have it call you or a neighbors phone / cell phone.. etc.

Soundguy