RR Ties - good price?

/ RR Ties - good price? #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
I found a local guy selling new railroad ties in 8', 10', 12' and 14' lengths. He wants $1.25 a foot for them. Asssuming they are good quality is this a good price? I was going to use them to make an ATV/horse/pedestrian bridge over a small creek.

/ RR Ties - good price? #2  
If they're truly treated railroad ties (not landscape timbers) and truly new -- then that price is quite fair, IMO.

Here in MA, used ones in decent shape will go $1 a foot...

/ RR Ties - good price? #3  
Assuming they are real, treated properly, RR ties, that's a great price for my area.

--->Paul

/ RR Ties - good price? #4  
I just bought 20 USED ties today for $ 7 .00 per
They are re doing a track bed just noth of me and the company that is handling the ties has thounds for sale.

DougM

/ RR Ties - good price? #5  
That would be a good price. Used ones around here are usually $8-10 for 8'6" fair quality ties.
The mill where I work moves tracks around from time to time and we can get the salvaged ties free. Two summers ago I redid hillside above our front driveway with them. (Attachment)
More of that project at:
http://www.wimmark.com/high_wall.htm
Wm

Attachments

• 758919-asphalt1.JPG
    758919-asphalt1.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 287
   / RR Ties - good price? #6  
Rob, just something to think about. I was ready to do a similar project until several people cautioned me about creosote leaching into the water. I am told creosote will leach out of ties for many years and is not good for the aquatic life in the stream.

How big of deal this is I can’t say. Just thought I would mention it as something to consider.

MarkV

/ RR Ties - good price?
MarkV - I should have thought about the creosote thing but didn't. I did a quick search on the internet and found this article: Environmental Impact of Treated Wood in Service

Seems like there was no clear answer from the study. While preservatives can and do leach into the environment serious downside effects were not found. I will need to check out the ties and see if they appear 'oily' or are dripping creosote.

/ RR Ties - good price? #8  
I would think the few bazillion miles of railroad where these ties are on the ground or used in bridge construction along with all the power poles and piers built with creosoted products tell you that it won't be the end of the world to use creosted timbers. Though you should expect them to be heavy, messy, and stink when they warm up in the sun. The really nasty environmental issues are from the factories that actually apply the creosote.

Not much fun to burn either /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ RR Ties - good price? #10  
Rob, Your quoted price is about the going rate... But I have a recommendation if you live near a rail / amtrack yard... I wanted to use quite a few for some landscaping etc.

I found that you can get them from amtracks rail yard used , but most of the ones you get from local suppliers are used anyhow they get bought up quickly when the are replaced.

The reason I'm saying this is that you can get them between $.50 and $1.00 a piece that includes the 22' switch ties /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif