Storage Building Questions

/ Storage Building Questions #1  

Haoleguy

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5325; Landini Mistral 50
Winter is approaching and I need to get my tractor(JD 5325) and attachments(BH, MX5, grappler, FEL) into better weather protection, Not sure where to place permanent barn yet so I'm looking at temporary(1-3 years) storage solutions. Any suggestions on materials, manufacturers, and floor prep?

/ Storage Building Questions #2  
A couple of cargo containers should do the trick if you can put them on your property. Park them about 12 feet apart and put a temp roof between the containers and store thing that do not need to be locked up in the open space and things you need to secure in each of the containers.
If you shop, you should be able to get them for around $1200 each and when you are through with them sell them for what you paid for them.
Farwell

/ Storage Building Questions #3  
I don't really like them, but the small fabric hoop buildings are pretty portable, and go up easy. A load of gravel would make a fine floor for any building I would think?

--->Paul

/ Storage Building Questions #4  
That's what I'd recommend; they range anywhere from $200-800 depending on quality, fabric, shape, etc. Harbor Freight, Northern, local farm store, probably even your local auto parts or big box store. A load of gravel would make a fine base. The structure and the gravel should last the 3 years you'll need it.

/ Storage Building Questions #5  
Gravel Floor works well. I put heavy plastic down before putting gravel down. Helps keep moister out and will be set for pouring concrete if you ever decide to.

Jim

/ Storage Building Questions #6  
I put up a 24x26' (12' high at peak) covered tubular arch building bought from Tek Supply last spring. Good quality componants and pretty heavy guage and tear resistant material. Cost about $2100.

I poured a 6" rebar reinforced slab for base (over a few " of crushed stone) w/2' ground screws under the slab at each end of the rafters for anchoring them and 2 4x4 timbers at each end for stiffening against wind loads.

2 reasons; (1) it gets pretty windy here so you really want the building well anchored and the ends able to stand up to pretty strong wind loads and (2) I keep my attachments on dollys and that won't work on a gravel or crushed stone base.

I am pretty happy w/it and it seems pretty stable so far. I ran 100amp service out to it via underground conduit, for lights, and my air compressor, welder and plasma cutter. Doesn't seem quite "temporary", does it? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But that's how it started, anyways.

SWMBO claims that it is "the ugliest thing in the United States, and possibly the Universe" but that just shows that non-tractor owners have no aesthetic taste at all. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If you decide to go w/ covered tubular arch construction, I have some tips on a couple of useful modifications that I'll be glad to share, by PM or post.

/ Storage Building Questions #7  
You can build a carport. All you need to do is to get some 8' poles and build a roof support between them. I would use a triangle that is inclined. If you go by construction sites you should be able to get a lot of wood. Poor a concrete slab it is 2-4 " thick. I would make the slab as thin as possible. If you are going to take it out then cracking will be helpful. When your done you have all the wood to build something else.

/ Storage Building Questions #8  
Check out www.farmtek.com they may have what you are looking for.

They will also send you a free catalog.

/ Storage Building Questions #9  
You can probably use 2x4s and roofing spike sheets to get the length. I would not go over 12' without support. You can always put walls in if you want and a role door. The roof can be tin or plywood with a shingle roof. You can get left overs from sites or lumber yards. Like you would carpet left overs. I would put in a light and maybe a power log that you can run a 110 w ground line out to from a outside outlet. I like the idea of roofing and using shingols so that way if you need to replace a few on your house then you don't have to call a guy for $5 worth of work.

/ Storage Building Questions #10  
I used some 4x10 boards to build walls in a horse stall last winter. I found that they were a good insulation against the cold. So if you find some of these then you can make walls. I also recommend running cable out to your carport. Because I always want to watch a game when I'm working on the tractor.