New Mailbox

/ New Mailbox #1  

kevincook

Platinum Member
Tractor
k
Well this is only tractor related because I needed to use the FEL to lift the post into place. This has been on my wife's list for a couple of years.

I got the post in Mass. and I built the bracket out of cypress.

I'm giving the plow three weeks before they destroy it. I figured I'd post a picture while it's still in one piece.

Kevin

Attachments

• 762369-mailbox (Small).jpg
    762369-mailbox (Small).jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,561
   / New Mailbox #2  
Probably should have painted it bright red so they would have something to aim for as they plow. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ New Mailbox #3  
I think its actually against postal regulations to mount a mailbox on a post or structure that is sturdy enough to represent a hazard to vehicles or snow plow trucks that may strike it by accident. The document I saw indicated that the mailbox post should specifically be designed to break-away if struck.

They mention stone monuments, heavy timber such as railroad ties, and antique farm equipment as being no-no's.

However, I would agree that replacing / repairing the mailbox and post gets rather tiring after the third or forth time, and I have plans to put in a sturdy new mailbox as soon as I get that far down my project list.

- Rick

/ New Mailbox #4  
Rick, you may be right; there are so many regulations that I don't think anyone can keep up with all of them, but I never heard of such a regulation by the Post Office. When we lived out in the country, that was such a state highway department regulation on state maintained roads. In fact, they actually supplied and installed the posts themselves. In our area at least, the guy who installed the posts would also mount your mailbox on it if you left it for him. If not, he put in the post and you could put your box on it later. However, on county roads, such as I was on, there were no regulations as long as it was accessible for the postal carrier. Mine was on a heavy steel pipe.

Now that we're back in town, my mailbox is embedded in a 2' square brick pedestal and there are a wide variety of types of posts and installations in the neighborhood; most, like mine, are located right in the center of my property. However, I saw in the newspaper that the Post Office is now requiring mailboxes to be at the corner of the property so that two boxes will be side by side. Such a requirement existed in Dallas in 1977, but now they just put one box in a city block with individual locking compartments for each house. In other words, it's constantly changing. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ New Mailbox
Rick,

I'm not really sure if there are regulations or not regarding the post. The postman never mentioned anything about the post but when he saw I was working on a new mailbox he did leave the regulations for the height and distance from the roadway.

I see lots of different mailboxes around. In brick structures like Bird mentioned on heavy steel posts. There aren't any granite posts around me but in New England they are actually quite common.

Thanks,
Kevin

/ New Mailbox #6  
I just sunk my granite post last weekend, too! I got to dig the hole with the BH (2 scoops) and then use the FEL & some straps to move and place the post.

It was on my wife's list for about 3 years, it's been a running joke. Our house was a real 'fixer upper' when we bought it and with all the other projects just to make the place livable she became fixated on moving the mailbox and getting a nice set-up. So then whenever she asked me to do something important like fix a leak or connect the heat to the bedroom I'd yell out "yeah, sure, I'll get to it right after I move the mailbox!"

Anyway, the post is finally set. I'm having a blacksmith make an antique-looking bracket and we have a copper mailbox all set to mount. No regulations here as far as I know. I checked with the PO and they told me to check with our mail carrier to be sure the location was ok but not a word about materials that we could/couldn't use.

-Norm

/ New Mailbox #7  
I'm on a Texas State highway and fall under TxDot regulations concerning the pole that can be used. I called them and told them I had an orange flag set where the pole needed to be. They came out a few days later and installed it. It's a metal breakaway pole set in another pole that's set in concrete. It has reflective tape and had the platform for the mailbox to attach. There was no charge for this.

My problems came from the post office on the location of the box. They decided it was unsafe to deliver to the front of my property and that they would only deliver across the street. I spoke with several supervisors and had one come out to look it over with me. No change in their position.

The union rules say it's too unsafe to make left turns after delivering to my location, the mail person would have to make a left hand U-turn across traffic.

Seems reasonable, and I don't have too many other options anyway.

Your mailbox looks really nice!!!

Eddie

/ New Mailbox #8  
Nice box...

I too have heard for years that you cannot have a rigid post.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Mailbox Supports
AN ADDENDUM TO THE COWETA COUNTY ZONING ORDINANCE
Approved January 18, 1994

BE IT ORDAINED BY THE BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS OF COWETA COUNTY GEORGIA: IT IS HEREBY ORDAINED BY THE AUTHORITY OF THE SAME, THAT THE FOLLOWING SECTION IS TO BE INCLUDED IN THE COWETA COUNTY ZONING ORDINANCE 1990 UNDER ARTICLE 6. EXCEPTIONS AND MODIFICATIONS:
Sec. 69.3 Mailbox Supports. The use of massive mailbox supports
that, when struck, could damage vehicles and cause serious injury
to vehicle occupants are prohibited. Heavy metal posts, concrete
posts, brick bases,. and miscellaneous items such as farm equipment
or supports filled with concrete are also prohibited. )</font>

Funny thing is, they dont care how often you have to replace it due to people playing baseball with it. If I have to replace mine, I think I'll take my chances with sometnig prety sturdy, like yours. I also have thought about a concrete lined metal box. Think of the ring you'll get off the bat whe its hit /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.. The only problem is if someone actually gets killed by it.

/ New Mailbox #9  
I can speak from experience about mailbox post rules.
In the area I use to live in Ellis county everybody was putting up brick mailboxes. The county passed an ordinance that all mailboxes put up after a certain date had to have the breakaway style pole if they are on a county maintained road. The ones that were there before that date were grand fathered in.
I would guess it up to who has the responsibility of maintaining the road it is on as to what the rules are, if any.

/ New Mailbox #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The county passed an ordinance that all mailboxes put up after a certain date had to have the breakaway style pole if they are on a county maintained road. )</font>

No ordinances here yet (as far as I know). We have posts made from brick, concrete, 6" drill stem, plows, etc. If the county decides to give everyone the shaft just to protect a few drunks and kids with baseball bats, I have a solution. I'll mount my mail box on a garage door spring, and I hope it takes the mail man at least 3 attempts to hit the target. A bonus is, if I listen carefully, I can detect a "booooinggg" when the mail is delivered. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We had an absolute blast with this topic on the Hobart "Weld Talk" message board a while back.

Back to the main topic, that granite mail box post is one of the nicest and most tasteful posts I have ever seen. If someone wrecks it, they should have to pay treble damages.