Property Gate

/ Property Gate #1  

1bush2hog

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TN75
I am considering building the gate as per design in the attachment. I would appreciate any and all input regarding the design and installation due to the fact I have little to no experience with metal fabrication.

The material initially planned is schedule 40 black iron pipe, with posts to be filled and anchored with concrete.

Thanks in advance for your help and comments.

Attachments

• 764713-Gate Design TBN.jpg
    764713-Gate Design TBN.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 2,677
   / Property Gate #2  
That's one heavy gate!

I believe I would look at 2" sch 40 or 3" tubing in place of the 6" stuff.

/ Property Gate
Yes, this is a heavy gate. I want something to keep people from driving into my property and also to keep them from destroying my gate. The gate will be in an isolated area, where I have had previous problems with trespassers. I believe it will take more than a red necks pick up to damage this gate - that is the intent anyway.

It will also be very difficult, even for a 4 wheeler, to go around the gate due to slope the road is on and surrounding trees.

/ Property Gate #4  
It's bigger than anything I've ever tackled, but I'm sure you have your reasons.

It reminds me of a park gate.

How will you hing it? Will you sleeve one pipe over the other? If so, you'll want to drill and tap some zirk fittings to grease it.

How will you latch it? Is it supposed to remain off the top of that post, or will it rest on it. I like the idea of having it rest on something. Relieves all the stress on your hinges.

Since it's such a heavy duty gate, you either just like oversized pipe, or you are seriously concerned about keeping people out. If you're concerned about security, than the latch and lock should be impossible to get to. Tresspassers have all sorts of clever ways to get into a place when they want. From crowbars to cutting torches to shooting off the lock.

I'd consider a heavy metal sleeve over the lock so you can only get to it from the bottom. Park gates are this way and allot of storage containers do this also.

If it was me, I'd just buy a 12 foot farm gate from the local store for $100. Cheap, simple and fast.

Eddie

/ Property Gate #5  
Yes, build it stout. We have learned around here that gates are targets for drunk rednecks. But, I think your thought process is wrong. You can't build it to where they won't destroy it. But you need to build it to where they can't drive off after hitting it. You want the responsible party to still be there in the morning when you check on the property. I came in from work one day to find a long skid mark plumb out into our bean field, a fence corner completely missing, and barb wire and posts strung for a 1/4 mile down the road. Gee, I had no plans for the weekend anyway, right?

/ Property Gate #6  
I think that design is going to be a PITA to open and close. You've got a lot of weight cantilevered way out there, and it'll probably cause the inner and outer pipes at the pivot to bind.

The weak point is the latch, it'll be easier to cut through than 2" pipe, so why not just use 2" pipe?

/ Property Gate #7  
Ok, I actually took the time to look at the proposed design. Yes, PITA open/close it will be. The stoutest gates we have ever put up on our place have been 2 3/8 drill stem gates (just a square/rectangle frame w/ a cattle panel welded to it) attached to 4" pipe in 36" holes w/ a couple sacks of quickcrete in them. Pea gravel also works really well. It will pack tight and give the water somewhere to go.
Also, you might want to think about a 20' gap and 2 10' gates. it seems that no matter how wide we make a gate, we end up with equipment that just barely fits.

/ Property Gate
It is basically a 'park' type of gate. I need to work out the details on the hinge and I'm hoping to get some good ideas from all the experts on here.

As far as the latching mechanism, it will have a metal bar that drops down from the cross bar, that will nest inside of the post when closed. I will then be able to put a lock thru this inside the post to keep gate secure and lock away from bolt cutters. I will pour the concrete inside this post so the bar will rest on the concrete when locked.

The lock will actually be inside the post with access to it from a hole in the side of the post. I will have to take another look at some of these style gates to finalize design.

I was working from memory mostly.

I have not excluded the farm gate either, but wanted to see what something like this might cost.

/ Property Gate
The problem is I can't check it the next morning. This gate will be for some property I have 3.5 hours away. That's where my tractor is too /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Property Gate
Thank you for your time and input. I really appreciate both. I understand there are easier opening/closing gates available and may end up going that route.

My current road into property would also is not wide enough for 2 10' gates, but I understand and appreciate the comments for sure, especially If I ever have this property logged.