Pipe Fence Paint Help

/ Pipe Fence Paint Help #1  

db05

I have approximately 1500 feet of rusty pipe fence to paint. Rusty but not pitted. Needless to say, I would like this to last about 10 years. I need some advice please on what I need to use, i.e. OSHPO and Rustoleum or OSPHO, primer, Rustoleum or something else. I live in central Texas so mainly hot & dry weather. There are so many types of paint that it's hard to sort through them and I'm affraid to go to a store and only get biased info about their product. Thanks in advance for your help.

/ Pipe Fence Paint Help #2  
I'm going to be doing the same thing right soon. I'm going to use the "Primer for heavily rusted metal" . I think it's Rustoleum but not sure. It's the brown/red color ... which is the color I want the posts anyway.
I put up a 20' piece of 1-1/4" badly rusted pipe for a tv antenna about 10 yrs ago. I just wire wheeled off the loose dirt and rust then wiped with laquer thinner then painted. The paint/primer is still perfect except for minor fading.
Cheers!

/ Pipe Fence Paint Help #3  
there is an acid solution you put on before you paint. use a paint mit for both its fast.

/ Pipe Fence Paint Help #4  
The 3 step process I used:

1. Use a phosphoric acid rust killer like "Rust-Kill". I used a cheap 1.5 gallon garden sprayer to apply, then next day went back with a wire brush to remove the loose stuff. This process not only kills the rust, but also acts as an additional primer coat.

2. Using a pipe fence roller (available at Sherwin Williams), applied a coat of Valspar's oil based iron oxide primer.

3. Using a pipe fence roller, applied a coat of Valspar's oil based pipe fence paint.

Tried the paint mitt route, & found the rough texture of the pipe fence wore them out in no time, & left a bunch of debris on the fence!

If you want to get the priming & painting done quickly, & don't care about the cost of wasted paint, hook your airless sprayer up to a generator to haul around your fence.