How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #101  
myslash 25 by 32 ... I don't know who made mine no instructions came for where it sat in a pasture for 8-9 years was missing a bucket of nuts and bolts and the foam trying to figure out the ends right now, People on this forum where nice enough to send me instructions from there but it shows three different ways so I am thing on it for right now... Thinking those noodles for the pool would make a good foam insert???

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #102  
We only bought 1 end wall & will finish the other end w/door, window, & garage door. We have our foam but I'm thinking you could just go to Walmart & buy a piece of foam (1 solid piece) & cut it in strips. That's what ours is like. We had a foam piece from Walmart when we used to camp to put under sleeping bags. I'm thinking the noodles won't have as much give to them????

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #103  
Just wondering how thick is the foam from the shed square foam?

Thanks I was thinking the swimming pool noodles?

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #105  
The endwall came w/foam that you're to use somewhere in the process of putting it together. I honestly haven't looked at it but my husband has talked about it.

Freebird, I will try to remember to measure it tomorrow & let you know.

We got 6 more sections put up yesterday. 6 more to go!!! Not nearly as "easy" as they or the video make it seem. We've had to do a lot of pushing & pulling to get the holes to line up.

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #106  
I guess there are a lot of people into these quonset huts, cause we have a 25 x 35 P style sitting in our shed on our 10 acres up in western NC...just waiting for us to go up and assemble :thumbsup:

One question (of many more to come I'm sure)....

How do you handle rain drainage?
With so much surface area (basically a roof that extends all the way to the ground), I would think that when it rains you get a LOT of water pooling at the sides on the ground?

because of the corrugated shape, gutters must be a no go.

Up in western nc with the clay soil, water runoff can be a problem (it isnt a problem here in florida with the sandy soil).

thoughts?

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #107  
Jackie, glad to hear you are getting it up. Yes, some panels went up easy, then others were a bear. Long drift pins help a lot giving you leverage to line up the holes. Don't get too aggressive as you can tear the steel. How about some pictures eh???

Y'all must be talking about that thin rolled insulation? If you are in a cold climate, I would stud out a wall inside the metal endwall and put 6" of regular glass in there. I don't think that thin rolled stuff is much more than a R3.

Matt, yes there will most likely be some water seeping back under the edges unless the slab is sloped down along the edge or has a bevel to it. Using a sealant under the base plate will also help a ton. I made a mistake and did not seal mine very well and get puddles along the walls during a big rain. It's a work shop, so it's not a big issue.

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #108  
Jackie, glad to hear you are getting it up. Yes, some panels went up easy, then others were a bear. Long drift pins help a lot giving you leverage to line up the holes. Don't get too aggressive as you can tear the steel. How about some pictures eh???

Y'all must be talking about that thin rolled insulation? If you are in a cold climate, I would stud out a wall inside the metal endwall and put 6" of regular glass in there. I don't think that thin rolled stuff is much more than a R3.

Matt, yes there will most likely be some water seeping back under the edges unless the slab is sloped down along the edge or has a bevel to it. Using a sealant under the base plate will also help a ton. I made a mistake and did not seal mine very well and get puddles along the walls during a big rain. It's a work shop, so it's not a big issue.

thx for that info.
We plan to have half of it as an office/apt with bath, small kitchen, a/c, couch...a place to relax in during breaks...so obviously I want to keep that section high and dry during heavy rains.
I was thinking of just having the edge of the sides, where they meet the ground/foundation, overlap the edge of the foundation...that way the water will just runoff to the ground, and from there we will figure something out like a french drain or other.
good to know that there can be problems with that though...thx!!

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #109  
Here's where we stand though I started on the end walls today can I attach the end walls with self tapping screws to the inner end piece? Any suggestions also it looks as if I will have to trim is this normal? Thanks to everyone thats offered suggestions and encouragement.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 647
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 623