how to cut metal tubing angles

/ how to cut metal tubing angles #1  

KEROSENEDRVR

Bronze Member
Tractor
DK35
I want to build a roll cage for my tractor. How do I cut metal tubing ends to a certain angle to get a flush fit at the joints for welding. I hate to fill the voids with weld and hate the thought of guessing the angles with the torch.
Any help is very much appreciated. If you can point me in the right direction on the web that is also helpful.

/ how to cut metal tubing angles #2  
you need a tube notcher.

/ how to cut metal tubing angles
If I use 4 inch schedule 40 tubing, and I want to make a 45 degree cut, will a notcher work for that?
I also want to make a piple fence around my property. I will be doing a lot of cutting/notching.

/ how to cut metal tubing angles #4  
Get some "test" pieces of the 4" tubing and make some patterns with construction paper, tape, scissors, and a magic marker. Wrap the paper around a tube and tape it to itself so it fits on the tube. Position the tubing at the angle you want, then trial and error the cutting of the construction paper (or thin cardboard works also) until it slides up flush against the other tube. Then just slide the paper down the tube and trace the pattern onto the tube with a permenant marker.

/ how to cut metal tubing angles #5  
miterbox/chop saw??

Soundguy

/ how to cut metal tubing angles #6  
You can make a 3 sided miter box out of wood snug fit on the pipe, Slot the sides at the desired angles with a sawsall, portaband, or radial saw. Insert the pipe and let the blades follow the slots in the wood as you cut the pipe. You can get several cuts before the slots get sloopy if you're careful. It's even possible to cut that way with a grinder wheel ie 12'-14". If working with long lengths you can clamp the box anywhere on the pipe, it doesn't need to be on a bench.

/ how to cut metal tubing angles #7  
I've seen different versions, but this is one of the nothcer that have been mentioned.

If you havent done stuff like this before, the truck and racing tv shows on Spike tv do roll caged from time to time. You may be able to find some how to tips on there.

/ how to cut metal tubing angles #8  
All very good answers BUT a roll bar should never be welded.

/ how to cut metal tubing angles #9  
It's really very simple.

Take one piece of your tubing and put it perpendicular to the other. Measure the distance from the outside of the cut piece to where it would meet the edge of the other. It should be about an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half.

On your horizontal piece cut in that measurement from center out in a smooth arc.

Bolt your two vertical pieces to your tractor. Pull your measurement where you're wanting to have your horizontal.

Double your first measurement (1 1/4-1 1/2") and add that to your distance. Cut your piece. Mark a centerline so you can keep your notches parallel.

This works. I do it all the time.

I you click on my "life is good" you see "the gate". It's made with four inch (4 5/8" o. d.) pipe.

/ how to cut metal tubing angles #10  
When you say tubing, there's all sorts of different types and grades of tubing. The racers have to use a certain type to be aproved, but there requiremets are going to be more extreme than yours, plus they want it to be as light as possible. Heavy and large would work just fine on a tractor.

I've seen Harvey's method done in person, and it's the slickest way to do it short of buying a notching tool.

As for not welding it, why? How are you supposed to put two pieces of metal together?

Eddie