Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2210

Default Re: how to cut metal tubing angles

Deerlope what do you mean a roll bar should never be welded? He wants to make a roll cage. Virtually all racing roll cages are weled. And I mean ALOT of welds. Next time you are around a drag car, stock car, dirt track car, etc have a look at the roll cage. There is welding on those that takes days and days to complete. I've watched drivers walk away from 200 + MPH crashes because of those welded cages.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    YM2000

I believe he means the actual main loop. The braces prety much have to be welded.. Though the weld is strong, the process might weaken the metal around it. I'm not a welder, but I have been told this before. Plus I've spent some time in a Holiday Inn Express [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2210

A cage on a tractor is going to be a relatively thick walled mild steel. If a guy can weld reasonably well it's gonna be tough to weaken any surrounding metal. Now if fatigue conditions, material alloy or heat treating were issues of concern it would be another matter. Weld away.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

Isn't saying "a roll bar should never be welded" kind of like saying it's illegal to remove the tag from a mattress? Obviously anything that weakens the bar increases risk of injury but welding doesn't necessarily weaken. With any engineered system modification changes the basis for the design but doesn't always detract from it. Sorry to pick on anyone but "never" is a long time. 99.9% of the tractors ever built never needed a ROPS. Just like 99.9% of automotive airbags go to the junk yard intact. Just be grown up enough to understand, minimize, accept the risk associated with your modifications. That's how man stood on the moon.

Tractor
    Kioti CK30 HST, dual remotes, FEL.

Most welding supply houses have a clamp on or wrap around pattern you can put on tube and pipe to mark the notch for cutting. An inexpensive method is one of those hole saw fixtures that cope tubeing. If you know what you're doing, it's OK to weld on your roll bar. Here's what I did to mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    Kubota BX23

Just found a little app for printing your own templates: www.damonrinard.com/tubemiter.exe. (I did not make it a hotlink due to the fact that it's an exe file. Use appropriate caution. I had no probs.)
    It is way too cool!
    Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    Kubota BX23

ok, it got posted as a hotlink anyway, whatever ...

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

For the tube miter go to this site and then look at the bottom of the page.

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

BTW, thank for the link. I did have that little program and used it several times until I had a hard drive crash and lost it.

Tractor
    Kubota BX23

Thanks, Jerry, and you're welcome. Also copying and pasting my [dead] link gets you to it directly which was my original intension.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12