Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    DK35

Default how to cut metal tubing angles

I want to build a roll cage for my tractor. How do I cut metal tubing ends to a certain angle to get a flush fit at the joints for welding. I hate to fill the voids with weld and hate the thought of guessing the angles with the torch.
    Any help is very much appreciated. If you can point me in the right direction on the web that is also helpful.

Tractor
    Kubota L3410

Default Re: how to cut metal tubing angles

you need a tube notcher.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    DK35

If I use 4 inch schedule 40 tubing, and I want to make a 45 degree cut, will a notcher work for that?
    I also want to make a piple fence around my property. I will be doing a lot of cutting/notching.

Gold Member

Get some "test" pieces of the 4" tubing and make some patterns with construction paper, tape, scissors, and a magic marker. Wrap the paper around a tube and tape it to itself so it fits on the tube. Position the tubing at the angle you want, then trial and error the cutting of the construction paper (or thin cardboard works also) until it slides up flush against the other tube. Then just slide the paper down the tube and trace the pattern onto the tube with a permenant marker.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

miterbox/chop saw??

Soundguy

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45S

You can make a 3 sided miter box out of wood snug fit on the pipe, Slot the sides at the desired angles with a sawsall, portaband, or radial saw. Insert the pipe and let the blades follow the slots in the wood as you cut the pipe. You can get several cuts before the slots get sloopy if you're careful. It's even possible to cut that way with a grinder wheel ie 12'-14". If working with long lengths you can clamp the box anywhere on the pipe, it doesn't need to be on a bench.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    YM2000

I've seen different versions, but this is one of the nothcer that have been mentioned.

If you havent done stuff like this before, the truck and racing tv shows on Spike tv do roll caged from time to time. You may be able to find some how to tips on there.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830 03: RTV 900

All very good answers BUT a roll bar should never be welded.

Tractor
    JCB165HF

It's really very simple.

Take one piece of your tubing and put it perpendicular to the other. Measure the distance from the outside of the cut piece to where it would meet the edge of the other. It should be about an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half.

On your horizontal piece cut in that measurement from center out in a smooth arc.

Bolt your two vertical pieces to your tractor. Pull your measurement where you're wanting to have your horizontal.

Double your first measurement (1 1/4-1 1/2") and add that to your distance. Cut your piece. Mark a centerline so you can keep your notches parallel.

This works. I do it all the time.

I you click on my "life is good" you see "the gate". It's made with four inch (4 5/8" o. d.) pipe.

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

When you say tubing, there's all sorts of different types and grades of tubing. The racers have to use a certain type to be aproved, but there requiremets are going to be more extreme than yours, plus they want it to be as light as possible. Heavy and large would work just fine on a tractor.

I've seen Harvey's method done in person, and it's the slickest way to do it short of buying a notching tool.

As for not welding it, why? How are you supposed to put two pieces of metal together?

Eddie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast