House Foundation

/ House Foundation #1  

andyrc130

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT2550
Over the weekend I rented a Caterpillar 953 for my uncle to dig the hole for my basement foundation. We ran out of light on Sunday before we could ensure the floor was completely level. We were able to shoot a few quick elevation grades and found that we were within a foot or so of level the whole way around. Here's my question. I have a Kubota B7610 with FEL and R4 tires. Could I do the rest of the leveling with my tractor and a rear blade or box blade, or should I rent a bobcat to finish the job? My basement is approximately 1800 square feet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

/ House Foundation #2  
No way to help you answer that question. If it's hard clay, or rocky then the answer may be 'no'. If its sand, answer could be 'yes'.
Lot's of variables. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ House Foundation #3  
Why not? If your machine can dig it and you can operated it, go for it. You may have a problem if you try to fill in a low spot due to improper compaction.

/ House Foundation #4  
You said you're within a foot of plumb. You didn't say if you need to cut it down more or raise the elevation.

It doesn't matter what you have or use to cut it down if it works. Just takes a little longer is all.

If you need to build it up, use sand. Sand is the only material that will compact to near 100 percent without the need for compaction equipment. It wont move or shift under load. It really is the perfect base material to build on.

Eddie

/ House Foundation #5  
Agreed......"self compacting". Sand is good. I'd have to imagine that he'll need to excavate the material that's off by a foot.

/ House Foundation
Thanks for the responses. Probably the easiest way to go would be to fill in the low spots I think. There is plenty of dirt to work with, but it sounds like you guys recommend doing it with sand? This is the first time we are building so I am a little unfamiliar with the whole process. The ground is relatively hard in the bottom - the cat had no problem digging, but my little tractor might. I don't mind taking extra time, as long as the job doesn't get screwed up. I was just thinking that rather than spending more money on renting equipment, I could weasel my way into more tractor attachments! I think I could at least squeeze a toothbar and rear blade out of the wife! Let me know what you guys think. Next time I go up there I will take a picture to post.

/ House Foundation #7  
I'm in Texas, so things will be different, but the basics are always the same.

First thing you need to do is have your pad leveled. Sounds like this is what your doing. You have two choices.

But first a littel about dirt. Virgin soil that has not been disturbed is considered good for building on. There's all types of soil and some is better than others. Clay is generally considered one of your less desireable soils because of the amount of movement you get out of it.

Clay will crack when it dries out and expand when it gets wet. All that movement leads to a cracked foundation.

Fill dirt will aslo settle over time. It takes an aweful lot of effor to get it compacted, and driving over it with a tractor aint going to do it to the level of undesterbed soil.

When you build up with dirt, there is always going to be a spot, and sometimes many places, that don't get totally compacted. This becomes your weak area that may settle over time. It could take 20 years, but sooner or later, it will settle and you're slab will crack, your house well settle and all sorts of things will happen.

This is the basic broblem with most cracked foundations. Of course, it doesn't cover them all.

Now to your situation. If you have the land and space, it's better to cut down the high spots. Make sure you still have drainage, cause water getting under your foundation is the biggest reason the dirts settles and moves after everything is built. Water is your number one enemy. Get it away from the house !!!

To level off the pad or build it up, use sand. Builders sand is a course, clean sand. It spreads easy and doesn't need any done to it to build on. Some parts of California, where earthquakes and building codes are extreme, require so much sand under a slab foundation. I think it was four inches, but don't remember for sure.

With rebar and good concrete, you don't have to use sand under your foundation, I didn't on mine, but I did on another house I built last year. Your code and local conditions will also dictate on what you use. Just ask around.

Eddie

/ House Foundation #8  
Beenthere said <font color="red"> No way to help you answer that question. If it's hard clay, or rocky then the answer may be 'no'. If its sand, answer could be 'yes'.
</font>

QRTRHRS asked:
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why not? If your machine can dig it and you can operated it, go for it. You may have a problem if you try to fill in a low spot due to improper compaction. )</font>

I think I included the same "if" as you did.