Free Firewood

/ Free Firewood #1  

Egon

Epic Contributor
A tale of gathering fire wood and some of the problems associated with such endevours.

The tractor was retrieved from the Dealer yesterday. Today we expect a Noreaster to provide us with 15 Cm. of snow. Timely repair! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A week ago Sunday I finally got organized for a trip to farm to cut firewood. It was to be an early Monday morning start. The camper was stocked with supplies, truck fuelled up, trailer hooked up, jerry cans filled, saw chain sharp, lots of bar oil and even checked and filled all the tires to proper air pressure. All set!!

Come out Monday morning to find a flat front tire. Bring out compressor to fill it up and see if leak could be located. Found nothing on the tire but the shrader valve appeared to be leaking. Off to tire dealer and came back with a handfull of new used ones. Valve still leaks if I get above 60 psi. Light bulb finally comes on and I realize it's the valve stem. So off with the wheel and up to the tire shop. This only happened after having to locate the 1/2 in drive and find a two foot snipe. Used the wife's car to move the tire. Had to move a big box out of the trunck. Turns out it was my Xmas present so became real popular quickly. Come about 01:00 PM finally got off to my early start and out to the farm. All is well.

Mow the grass around the campsite area, rake the leaves and start a nice relaxing fire. Other than a little chilly a very good evening.

Spent most of the next day dragging up wind blown trees. Come later in the afternoon I decide to pullout several windblown hung up poplar trees. As usuall jamb the saw bar several times but do have some wedges which allow me to free it. Then try and move the trees so I can pull them down the hill and out. Promply get one stump jambed between the loader and tractor frame with one front tire buried in a muddy hole. This is on a 15 degree slope I should add. After an hour or so I finally get the tractor out. Realize I'm tired and head for the camper, supper, another fire and several mood altering beverages.

Come next morning I awake to see three red Petzel helments. Knowing I only have one roll over and go to sleep to make sure I don't catch cold. Come afternoon venture forth and bring in more logs but leave my two poplars alone. Another quiet evening.

Up early and up the hill to get the poplar logs. One drags out nicely and go back for the other one. As I'm getting the tractor in position to hook up the left front wheel finds one of the many holes present and spins the steering wheel out of my hand. There is also a little cluncking sound as I watch the top steering bracket break off the wheel housing. Lift the front of the tractor and the whole wheel falls off!

Joy of Joy's "Up The Hill With No Front Wheel "

Finally get to one of the trails by lifting front end up and backing up. Had to cut several more small trees down and used a come along to steer by sliding the back of the tractor around. Continued on this way till I could reach the tractor with the truck. Pulled it backwards to the loading area and finally managed to get it on the trailer.

Angry, tired, disallusioned off to the dealer we went where it still sits being repaired.

This is called " Gathering Free Firewood" ??

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Free Firewood #2  
Sorry about your bad luck, kinda if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.. Good story, when you start again, I wish you "GOOD" luck.. and let us know how it goes this time.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif JohnJ

/ Free Firewood #3  
Egon,

Have you figured out how much that "free" firewood cost yet?

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My last work day was not as bad as yours but.... There was a limb that had broken off one tree to lean up against another tree. I was moving a fallen tree, which moved another fallen tree which was touching the leaning limb. Said leaning limb fell towards me. I pomptly struck out at falling limb with my hand. Thankfully several things happened. One I was wearing thick padded gloves. Two the end of the limb was rotten so it just exploded in my hand. Three the limb was not long enough to reach my head but did hit the tractor fender and hand hold. It did hit my leg and gave me a little scratch. And it kinda messed up the hand hold but everything else was fine except for my fruit of the looms.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Gotta be careful out there....

Later,
Dan

/ Free Firewood #4  
It's always amazing how dangerous moving trees and limbs can be. Some twist and turn, other snap and fly. Whatever they do, it's unexpected and the results are rarely predictable.

I'd have to say that moving trees with a tractor is about the most dangerous thing I've come across. One thing leads to another, and sometimes several things happen at once that are too fast to react to. Add a heavy, powerful tractor to the mix of uneven terain with moving branches, and just about anything is possible.

Glad to hear it was the tractor that got hurt and not you!

Eddie

/ Free Firewood
It was $1500 and some dollars before the Dealer said I could take it home. Did have a few other things done though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will not complain as the tractor has worked hard! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon

/ Free Firewood #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Finally get to one of the trails by lifting front end up and backing up. Had to cut several more small trees down and used a come along to steer by sliding the back of the tractor around. Continued on this way till I could reach the tractor with the truck. Pulled it backwards to the loading area and finally managed to get it on the trailer. )</font>

Well... one good thing happened. You didn't forget your come-along. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sorry to hear you had so much hassle. Maybe the repair bill won't be too much. Last weekend I was pushing some brush and something knocked my foot off the hydro pedal. I looked down and it was a 1-1/2" diameter limb that just happened to be in the right place to get my attention without doing any damage. It would seem I was having all the good luck that was absent in your adventure. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Free Firewood #7  
Egon,
I think you may have been ahead to come down and get some osage orange from me. I have a bunch cut up and would have shared it. You would have only had to drive about three days to get here! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Free Firewood
I'd love some free osage orange. It's just that I need Free delivery! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon

/ Free Firewood #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
I'd love some free osage orange. It's just that I need Free delivery! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon )</font>

I'm afraid to go into the woods now, there's a lot of dead yellow pines out there that are just waitin' to nail me and my tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif