Old barn needs tearing down

/ Old barn needs tearing down #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
I have an old barn on my place that needs tearing down. It was gettting old and then a tornado came through and about did her in. She's still standing but not worth the expense to repair. I thought about putting a torch to her. I saw an ad recently from a guy that tears down old barns for the wood. Have any of you had experience with a situation like this? If he does want the wood, should I expect to get paid? I would probably just let him have it if he would clean up everything and haul off what is not usable.

/ Old barn needs tearing down #2  
I tore my barn down last year. Everyone said that wood would be great to have, but no one wanted to come and get it. I even had the Amish out and they said the same thing! So I torn it down piece by piece. I saved some wood, burnt some, and put a bunch in several dumpsters. It took more time than I anticipitated, but I didn't have much of a choice.
Wes

/ Old barn needs tearing down #3  
I heard from people how much I could make off the wood on an old barn I had that was falling apart. But when I tried to get anybody to come out and take it, none showed up. After a few months and a branch fell through the top, I just knocked it down myself.

I sold that piece of land and the new buyer also tried to give away the old wood without any takers. He ended up burning it.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Old barn needs tearing down #4  
It took me two years to find someone who wanted mine (80X40 bank barn, 100+ years old, white oak, mortise and tenon joining). He paid me $750, took what he wanted, hauled away or burned what he didn't want. Not sure if it was a good deal or not, but from all the folks who said they might be interested, but did nothing about it, this was the one and only offer.

/ Old barn needs tearing down #5  
There is a lot of demand for old wood that is in good condition. Lots of specialty items made from it. But it takes a lot of time and effort to get that wood from a standing structure, especially if they are also going to be cleaning up everthing unuseable after the fact. No one is going to pay for it unless it is profitable for them. So I would not expect a lot for it. If you are just wanting to get it gone, then I would say anything they are willing to pay you for it is a good deal for you both.

/ Old barn needs tearing down #6  
I don't know if I'm willing to pay much for it but I'm always on the lookout for some old barn wood that is somewhat usable as a panneling on in&outside building walls.

My pole barn is is all r-panel and I've dressed it up on the inside with some old wood. I'm about to build my wife a new tac-room bulding and I'll build it out of metal/r-panel becuase I have a bunch of it. When I'm done I'll panel the front with old wood and make it look like an old building. (browny points /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Down off the highway was an dirt racetrack that had been there for years. It's now a brand new High School. When they demolished it, I went and got trailers full of the bleacher wood. I built my Stalls out of it.

The stuff that was begining to rot made good wall cover in the barn

I tore down an old pool deck and made the stall doors .

/ Old barn needs tearing down #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have an old barn on my place that needs tearing down. It was gettting old and then a tornado came through and about did her in. She's still standing but not worth the expense to repair. I thought about putting a torch to her. I saw an ad recently from a guy that tears down old barns for the wood. Have any of you had experience with a situation like this? If he does want the wood, should I expect to get paid? I would probably just let him have it if he would clean up everything and haul off what is not usable. )</font>

If no-one wants it, and you don't want to do it yourself, try offering it to your local fire department for training.

Harry K

/ Old barn needs tearing down #8  
<font color="blue">If he does want the wood, should I expect to get paid?</font>

It depends on the area of the country one is in. In upstate New York there is a demand for these old posts and beams. I took apart an old hog barn on my property about 20 years ago after part of it collapsed due to neglect of the previous property owner. I've saved alot of the clapboard and many of the posts and beams. I am storing them in my bigger dairy barn until I decide how best I can use them. I've seen local classified ads where folks are selling in some cases 20 posts and beams, 15-25' long for $1,500-$2,000. There is a demand for these old timbers from builders who modify them and use them in rehab or new construction.

...Bob

/ Old barn needs tearing down #9  
Years ago I had a house that was to be removed from a lot. I had a fellow tell me he would take it down and clean the lot it I gave him the house. I had him put $500 in my hand to hold until lot was clean. We agreed on a time limit and things worked out well. He cleaned the lot, I returned his $500 and "all's well than ends."

/ Old barn needs tearing down #10  
Should be good market around large suburan areas with the building boom at least here in the midwest. Recently demolished my old home place barn. I saved a lot of the lumber and have built 3 old style dry sinks from 1" thick saw mill cut wood. Gave 2 to my kids as family heirlooms.