What equipment can I use to make raised rows?

/ What equipment can I use to make raised rows? #1  

rlee6

Silver Member
Tractor
Allmand 8435 HST (TYM T330 HST)
I need to make rows of raised bed for planting. What equipment and attachment do I need to scrape dirt and push it up to form a raised bed? Total area = 2 acres, cleared of vegetation, sandy, flat. Thanks.

/ What equipment can I use to make raised rows? #2  
I'm not sure how wide your rows need to be but if they only need to be about the same width as potato drills, how about a potato plow.

/ What equipment can I use to make raised rows? #3  
   / What equipment can I use to make raised rows? #4  
They make regular hillers that do what you want. Talk to your local dealers and they should have some info on the brands they can get or carry. The simple disc hillers are nice and I wouldn't think they would be too expensive but have never priced one to know.

/ What equipment can I use to make raised rows? #5  
My wife and my computer..... Both are trying hard to get on my last nerve today.

I can't post a link for some reason.

(And I won't bother you with what my wife won't do /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

Try www.marketfarm.com/online_catalog.cfm

click on "Bed shapers". Also check out all the other goodies!

/ What equipment can I use to make raised rows?
Thank you very much. Now I know what to look for.

/ What equipment can I use to make raised rows? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I need to make rows of raised bed for planting. What equipment and attachment do I need to scrape dirt and push it up to form a raised bed? Total area = 2 acres, cleared of vegetation, sandy, flat. Thanks. )</font> <font color="blue"> </font>

I asked the same question at my local Tractor Supply Company store and was told all I needed was a Middle Buster Plow. http://tinyurl.com/7r3xe

/ What equipment can I use to make raised rows? #8  
You just need a bar that mounts onto the 3 pt and put a couple of disc hillers onto the bar. About the best way to do this is to buy one of those multi-tine cultivators where the tine plows mount on a bar and then buy a couple of disc hillers from a place like AgriSupply.

Attached is a picture of mine. A friend of mine gave me an old soil ripper that has its tine plows mounted onto a diamond bar. It was a challenge to mount the shanks of the disc hillers to the diamond bar, but my friend did this for me in the machine shop where he works.

You can buy clamps for the shanks to fit the square bars used nowadays.

The disc hillers, I think, will give you more uniform row spacing than using the potato plows because you'll run one set of wheels in the ruts made by the previous row. A big rock or rots might cause your tractor to do a dipsido, but the rows will still remain evenly spaced, all with dipsidos like the first one made.

Ralph

Attachments

• 803903-Disc Hillers Rear sm.jpg
    803903-Disc Hillers Rear sm.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,153
   / What equipment can I use to make raised rows? #9  
We just use this little plow with some sweepers on it. They move the dirt in a row. You have to be careful because these little things will give you a deeper row than you need.

Attachments

• 808198-row2s.jpg
    808198-row2s.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 924
   / What equipment can I use to make raised rows? #10  
Same sort of plow on my Brother in Laws L175

Attachments

• 808200-03132004-004.jpg
    808200-03132004-004.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 573