What pitch roof do you think this is?

/ What pitch roof do you think this is? #1  

yak651

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case 530 (old!!)
If you get a chance, take a look at this picture and give a guess for what roof pitch this is. I'm trying to sketch of a "barn" for some land I have and would like it to look simialr to this. Also, the slider doors look nice, but don't think they would work so well in WI winters. Any ideas for something that would look as good? I was thinking regular white garage door and then painting a "faux" finish on it to resemble the slider? Any ideas?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 795966-Future Barn.jpg
    795966-Future Barn.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,250
   / What pitch roof do you think this is?
One more quick question, I haven't done a lot of construction so bear with me. How do I sketch the "joining" of the lean to to the roof trusses? And also, any idea of the "scale" of the copula in relation to the building size? I figure it would have the same roof pitch as the main building, but not sure on it's physical size. thanks again...
For reference, I was figuring the building to be 24' x 40' with 9' tall walls and about an 8' width under the lean to. Oh yeah, before i go, for a "floating slab", do you go with 4" or 6"?

/ What pitch roof do you think this is? #3  
My best guess would be a 6/12 pitch. Just using the service door as a tool, it should measure 80" tall. You could lay 4 of them end to end across the width of building and stand 1 from stringer to peak. Here again, just guessing but I would estimate the building to be near 28 to 30 feet wide and peak of roof near 7 feet. Next guess anyone?

/ What pitch roof do you think this is? #4  
In our heavy frosts, I'd want the 5 or 5.5 inch slab. Depends what you drag onto it tho.

The sliding doors work ok on a building end here in Minnesota, if you are careful with some overhang & slope the ground away. You don't want sliders - or any door really - on a side where the eaves are tho!

--->Paul

/ What pitch roof do you think this is? #5  
I'd guess 7/12 pitch. Measures out that way for me. Maybe a little less pitch than that, but 6/12 to 7/12 anyway. Not sure if it makes a difference.

/ What pitch roof do you think this is? #6  
Regal has the numbers right IMO. 28' and 6/12 pitch. Slab dependent on loading. I like about 5" for that application in your area. A regular garage door is more weather and varmit resistant than a slider. Also keep in mind everyone wants sliders mounted on the exterior side of the opening so they don't interfere with wall space. But they can work better on the interior side if that's no issue. I'd go conventional door though as that slab is subject to frost heave unless your tied in for frost or heated. No door likes slab heave but sliders are prone to jamming when a floor lifts. For a true barn application the doors look better and are often more functional at the gable end. However, they are better protected under an overhang with a gutter in my parts. Perhaps you don't gutter there or intend on a metal roof, then the gable end is better as you don't get the splatter from the roof run-off or any snow/ice off-loading at the gable. Cupola looks about 30" square. Engineer the primary roof rafters and then sister the lean-to rafters in beside the primary roof rafters at the wall bearing point. You'll have to double up or pad out at the gable ends of the lean-to, so as to flush everything up, as those rafters will be 1 1/2" inset to bear properly.

Nice looking barn. Remember that the loft is going to be barely walkable (head clearance) at the center of the roof given those slopes and spans.

HTH

/ What pitch roof do you think this is? #7  
I would have fibers added to the concrete as well as some insulation under it. If you are familiar with the "bubble wrap" insulation for roofing applications, there is a similar product for under concrete. They now have a material that allows the concrete to move minimizing cracking.

/ What pitch roof do you think this is? #8  
My guess is that beenthere's got it right at about 7/12. In that perspective, it appears (to me) that the vertical rise is slightly greater than the horizontal.

/ What pitch roof do you think this is? #9  
yak; I'll vote for somewhere between 6and7/12. The cupola rule of thumb is, 1"-2" of each foot of ridge, per side. In other words, if your ridge is 24', then the cupola would be from 12"-24" on each side. I prefer the 2" per foot rule myself, and also . The roof on most cupolas is usually a pretty steep pitch. I think a reflection of the roof style/pitch it is on looks better.
Why bother with trying to scab on the overhang roof? Trusses can be fabbed to go the complete building width for what you want, and it'll save time and effort after all said and done.

/ What pitch roof do you think this is? #10  
I agree with the others about the pitch. Looks to me like its in that range. The real question is how much snow do you get and what is the best pitch for YOUR area.

Don't build something because you like the way it looks, but build the best building possible then make it look nice.

The cupola is realy simple to add to the framing once you get to that point. If you want it to stand out, I'd go with four feet sides. If it comes out too large for your taste, then scale it down to what you think looks the best.

You might want to do a search on sliding doors on this site to read what people who have them have to say about them. Very few people like them, and if your building new, there's no good reason to put them in.

I put a roll up door in my workshop. Not very dificult to do, looks great, very functionals and reasonably priced. Garage style slide up doors are another good choice. I considered them both before buying the roll up.

As for large swinging doors, I'd be hesitant on them due to their tendancy to sag over time. It's very hard to build a large door that wont be affected by the weather and it's own weight. You frame will need to be reinfornced, with some very large hinges. If you cut a single corner in their design, it will be your failure point.

For me, I don't like going back and redoing anything, and that's my fear with the large doors. Just because one person might reckomend them, doesn't mean they will work for you or that they will last more than a few years before sagging.

Another good idea is to seach this site for barn plans along with google or any other search engine on the net. There are some free plans out there along with plenty that you can buy.

Good Luck,
Eddie