Winter Tree Killing

/ Winter Tree Killing #1  

Liberty

I have several old Bodock trees on my propety, I think
I read one time on the site that you can chop into the
tree at the base and spray brush killer in the chop mark
and it will kill the tree. Does any one know about this or
have experiance with the method?

Any other ideas for killing bodock is appreciated.

Thanks

/ Winter Tree Killing #2  
I don't know the type of tree you note, but most trees will die by girteling them. Just take your chian saw and cut a 1" ring around the base.

patrick

/ Winter Tree Killing #3  
What size are your trees? Where are you located? I might come cut and haul the trunks away if not too far and trees are large enough.

/ Winter Tree Killing #4  
I assume you are talking about the bois d'arc tree, also called bodark, osage and horse apple tree. We used either straight (undiluted) RoundUp or 2-4-D (depending on the time of year) in the chop marks. Roundup is used in the spring/summer when the sap is active. 2-4-D will work in the winter I think. Spike will also work on these trees, but be careful as just a little Spike will kill trees in the immediate area as well. Read those product labels! Check with a local feed store or county agent and they should be able to help you out.
If you cut the tree down, cut it up while it is still green. Once it dries out, it is harder than steel. Makes great fenceposts and I have seen them outlast steel T-posts.

/ Winter Tree Killing
I am in Middle TN, several bodocks, 6" 8" 10" trunks I would
guess. Liberty

/ Winter Tree Killing #6  
You've got some great material for fence posts if you have lengths long enough. Osage Orange (untreated) will last over fifty years in the ground.

/ Winter Tree Killing
Yea, but who wants to cut the stuff!Liberty

/ Winter Tree Killing #8  
I've seen folks place ads in this area to have locust cut. They always get someone to do it for free in return for the posts. Depending on how many trees you have, someone could make some money.

/ Winter Tree Killing #9  
The product you are looking for can be had from Forestry Supply and is called Garlon. Mix it with fuel oil and spray into the blaze you make with an ax. If the trunk diameter is small enough you can just spray it on the bottom 18" of trunk without cutting into the tree.

/ Winter Tree Killing #10  
Killing it is one thing but it will not rot like a regular tree, a dead Bodark can just sit there for an unknown amout of years with the small limbs falling periodically but the main trunk and large limbs will stay.
The fastest way to kill a bodark is a chainsaw, a backhoe and a burnpile.