For Grapple, Diverter setup or Rear remote?

/ For Grapple, Diverter setup or Rear remote? #1  

andrewj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5105
Hi folks. I am planning to get a loader/grapple and cannot decide between a WR long diverter or just getting a cheaper grapple and running a hose to a rear remote. I won't morn the loss of the one handed button control on the joystick, and I don't mind having to remove my hand from the joy to reach back for a remote handle.

What do you guys think? the money is around 500 bucks for a diverter, around 900 for the remote.

/ For Grapple, Diverter setup or Rear remote? #2  
I've thought about this a bit myself for when I purchase a grapple. Originally, I had thought about hooking it up to my rear remotes, but after reading a few things, I'll be going with the diverter valve. This way, I don't have to worry about tying up my remotes for the grapple if I'm running a implement that requires the use of the remotes. Seems to be a cleaner installation too.

/ For Grapple, Diverter setup or Rear remote? #3  
My vote is for the Electric Diverter.

/ For Grapple, Diverter setup or Rear remote? #4  
Electric diverter. Heck, it's even cheaper. Who wants to deal with super long hoses zip tied along your tractor front to rear? Then if you ever remove the loader, you have to remove those hoses too. Moving your hand off the loader control every time might get to be a serious pain in the rear.

Too bad its 500$. The remote will also have some other uses that make the 900$ hit not so bad but I don't think I would want to use it for the grapple.

/ For Grapple, Diverter setup or Rear remote? #5  
I opted to try the longer lines off my rear remotes. It would be nice to have the button added to my remote, but so far I haven't minded moving my hand from remote to rear lever - then again I am not using the grapple 8 hours a day every day either. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I can always spend the extra money and add the diverter/button setup on at a later date if I want.

Guess it all depends on amount of usage and money you have available at the time. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ For Grapple, Diverter setup or Rear remote? #6  
I vote for an electric diverter. I had plumbed in a manual diverter valve when I had the grapple on my old 1700. It was a real PITA to use. For occasional or infrequent use, it might be ok, but I was moving a lot of large brush piles, and the manual valve was just too cumbersome and awkard. When I got my 4210, one of the first things to go on was a Fasse valve kit I got at my dealer. Here's the thread with pics. With this setup, I can quickly change the valve direction and actually get both functions working together to curl up/clamp down, or reverse to dump. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ For Grapple, Diverter setup or Rear remote? #7  
My tractor had two sets of rear remotes. No way I could justify the money and work involved for a diverter valve. I simply disconnected one set of rear remotes and ran them forward. Used Quick connects at the loader frame so it can still be easily removed (not that it ever has). $100.00 and I have hydro for my plow and graple ... Scozz

/ For Grapple, Diverter setup or Rear remote? #8  
500$ for the WRLong diverter, or Fasse, but then the grapple itself will add a hefty chunk to the cost.

If you were to use the rear remotes to power the grapple then you could mount a log splitter to the bucket.

Attachments

• 804473-splitter.jpg
    804473-splitter.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 281
   / For Grapple, Diverter setup or Rear remote? #9  
Oooh, I am drooling over that ATI grapple. I would like the double jaw one though but at 250 lbs vs. 137 for the single I am not sure. Anyone willing to share cost on these grapples? Single or double jaw?

/ For Grapple, Diverter setup or Rear remote? #10  
I elected to go with rear remotes. I have 3 with 2 sets of QDs to the rear and 2 sets going forward. One remote has teed lines for use either front or rear. I had QDs installed at the loader frame to enable loader removal which I rarely do. I usually just drop whatever attachment I have on the loader for mowing or whenever I am not using the loader.

Vernon