Field Drainage

/ Field Drainage #1  

5103Owner

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5103
I have a field that has several springs and wet areas and would like to know how to dry it up. Any sugggestions are appreciated.
Stefan

/ Field Drainage #2  
Up north the general approach seems to be to install drainage tile. Down here we most often ditch it.

/ Field Drainage #3  
Drainage tile would work the best, letting water run slow and steady vs a ditch whitch will rush with heavy rains. Make sure the area is NOT a wet land. Big brother will give you some big fines and make you take out any drainage you put in.

/ Field Drainage
I have a couple questions about drainage tile
1) how deep do I put it
2) do I have to put gravel in th ditch and if so how many inches
Stefan

/ Field Drainage #5  
5130wner, there's no simple answer to your question. I'm installing field drains on my farm and in order to calculate depth of pipe, layout and centres, I was loaned a book - The B.C. Agricultural Drainage Manual - by an advisor for the Ministry of Agriculture and Lands on one of his visits here. The book runs to over 260 pages and deals with rainfall, soil type, land gradients, seasonal depths of water table, intended crops, etc. all of which will impact on correct field drainage design.

If you have an advisor in your area, that's who I'd consult for specific advice, or for the loan of documentation which will help you to design a drainage system to suit your particular circumstances.

/ Field Drainage #6  
And a wetland is not always obvious. In fact, I would imagine that almost any field that you feel would benefit from drainage tile is in fact, a wetland. I have been being schooled on this recently. It ain't pretty.

/ Field Drainage #7  
use a transit or laser level quarter inch drop per 10 foot ,depth is whatever the land scape u r draining whaT IS THE DEEPEST WHER U WANT IT TO END IF U USE PLASTIC DOUBLE WALL u need at least 12 inches of cover if u cross a road. i recently did a job of this in 100 feet stretch of pipe i went from 12 inches to about 2 ft at the other end due to the landscape.