Digging beside existing foundation

/ Digging beside existing foundation #1  

RayK

Tractor
Kioti CK20HST-Kubota G1700
I have to dig beside an existing foundation for sealing. I will be using a mini backhoe (CK20HST) and wondering what is the best way to tackle this job, dig parrallel to wall or at 90 degrees etc . Your help is appreciated.

/ Digging beside existing foundation #2  
I would go at it head on. I think that's what you meant as 90.

There's a big building going up near where I work and I noticed a big trackhoe there doing some work a couple weeks ago. It appeared as if he was digging up right next to the foundation. Funny thing though, they had the bucket mounted "backwards". Instead of the scoop generally facing the operator, it was rotated 180. Anyone ever encountered this? What's the point? I assumed it was for getting up close to the foundation, but can't really see how it would be helpful.

/ Digging beside existing foundation #3  
Rayk,
Dig a trench parrallel to the foundation first. Then dig the dirt away from the foundation. For example dig a trench 4' out parrallel to the wall. Then pull the dirt away from the wall. This avoids putting large amounts of pressure on the foundation when you excavate.

Ron

/ Digging beside existing foundation #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Rayk,
Dig a trench parrallel to the foundation first. Then dig the dirt away from the foundation. For example dig a trench 4' out parrallel to the wall. Then pull the dirt away from the wall. This avoids putting large amounts of pressure on the foundation when you excavate.

Ron )</font>

Yep, except I would raise the outrigger on the wall side and trench closer to the structure. Realize too, you're more than likely going to dig up and have to repair/replace the foundation drain(s). Don't forget about other underground stuff like sewer, water, gas, electric, phone, cable, brick ledge, etc..

/ Digging beside existing foundation #5  
If you are an inexperienced BH operator, work 90 degrees to the wall. Stretch out the boom & bucket so you can just reach the wall then when you dig you won't have to worry about damage to the block or the house itself. more moving of the rig but far less embarrassing overall.

/ Digging beside existing foundation #7  
I actually just finished doing this job a couple of months ago using my Kubota BX23 which is slight smaller than your tractor. I dug mine down for the same reason - to seal it up and put in a footer drain. I found that the best way to get the digging done was to work at about a 45 degree angle to the foundation. The problem with the BX 23 is that it only has a 140 degree swing on the backhoe. According to the Kioti site the BH for your CK20 has a 180 degree swing so you are a little bit better off. Going in at a 45 degreen angle meant that I could put both of the outriggers down and clear the foundation wall - and I had enough swing on the BH to enable me to dump the dirt away from the trench I was digging.

Make sure you dig all the way down to whatever depth you want to be at - once you move the tractor up a little you will have a really hard time getting back at the trench because you will have piles of dirt in the way and you will no longer be able to go at the 45 degree angle because you will have dug away the supporting dirt that was along the foundation - so you will have to go straight in or at a slight angle - which with the limited 180 swing on the BH will make it hard to get the dirt out of the hole. (Don't ask me why I know this /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

/ Digging beside existing foundation #8  
Before you dig, make sure you shore up the floor stringers just inside the sill plate. If the basement wall is bad you don't want the house walls to follow it into the hole. I remember doing this job with my dad over 50 years ago, but we used a shovel to dig the hole.

/ Digging beside existing foundation #9  
The bucket turned around backwards is handy for digging closer to a wall with and excavator with a quick coupler. Ive dont this on my old Ford hoe because both eyes in the bucket arethe same. most of the time Ive just put the hoe at a 45 degree angle to the building and that gives another 45 to the spoil pile. I just had to reposition alot. Now with my 12000 pound excavator it has a side shift. Thats what I use alot now.

/ Digging beside existing foundation #10  
You were so close it looks like an advertisment from Bobcat... Confidence is key I guess..