Linoleum garage floor

/ Linoleum garage floor #1  

miltrade

Tractor
JD 4200
I have a concrete garage floor. I have tried the various garage floor paints, none seem to work as well as advertised. I was considering trying to lay black linoleum tile squares instead. Seems like they would hold up and could easily be cleaned. Anyone ever tried this?

/ Linoleum garage floor #2  
The building I work in has a fair amount of traffic, both foot and wheels. We have a mix of linoleum and epoxy paint. It's almost six years old now. The painted surface looks about as good as the linoleum, and if I had to pick, I'd say the paint looks a bit better. For what it's worth.

Another thought. Linoleum sticks fairly well to concrete, but I wonder how it would stick to previously painted concrete. I've never tried that.

I do think linoleum would make for an attractive garage floor though.

Good luck.

Tom

/ Linoleum garage floor #3  
My concern would be how slick it could be with any kind of moisture on it... such as rainwater dripping off the car.

/ Linoleum garage floor #4  
miltrade,

My concerns with linoleum, would be that it would get crushed with floor jacks and jacks stands if you plan to use these in the garage. I would think that it would also burn if using torches and welders. It would look nice if it is just to park on. I think I would try painting it again and make sure you etch the surface.

Good luck,
Russ

/ Linoleum garage floor #5  
Another problem with linoleum is that it will release if it gets too wet or allowed to stay wet for a time. Have seen many times where linoleum on kitchen floors, bathrooms, laundry rooms, etc. has separated from the floor if water was allowed to leak on it for very long. Maybe there is some kind of super adhesive to prevent that.

/ Linoleum garage floor #6  
I would be concerned that linoleum might become to slippery when it got wet or had a bit of oil or hydraulic oil spilled on it. Not a good condition for a work area. At least with most paints you can add silica sand to eliminate that problem.

/ Linoleum garage floor #7  
I looked into various products designed for garage use. They usually involve no adhesives just snap together. They are pricey but look good.

A google search for "garage floor tiles" should give you plenty of information.

/ Linoleum garage floor #8  
Miltrade, Another product is called racedeck which is the snap together a previous poster mentioned , I'm sure there are other manufactures also sears is rumored to have a garage tile for the more budget conscious consumer , might be worth a look ... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

If thats not for you ,my personal want would be epoxy with the non-slip additive (play sand) and speckles for a more textured look... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Linoleum garage floor
Thanks for all the input. When I said that I had tried garage floor paints, they were not on this particular floor. I tried them on my previous floor and they all came up, no matter how closely I followed the recommended application, use of primer, etc. etc. This floor has not been painted. I have some of the interlocking rubber matting in my barn (weighs about 75 lbs each piece), but I have been hesitant to transport it to the house.

The garage is to be used for parking only, no jackstands, no work area etc.

I just thought that maybe an easy solution would be to put down some black linoleum tile squares as they can really have a showroom quality if kept clean.

But I'll consider all the downsides and make a decision.

/ Linoleum garage floor #10  
I'm going to bet your not looking at linoleum tiles. I can't think of the name but, it is a solid material that used to be asbestus(sp) based. There about $.59 each and just glue down. linoleum has a very thin top layer that is easy to break through.

What don't you like about concrete? Is the finish rough? Mine is so smooth I have to be carefull when wet. She cleans as if it were in the house.