Exhaust Fans for Shop

/ Exhaust Fans for Shop #1  

GaryBDavis

Gold Member
I’m in the final planning stages for my new shop and how I want the welding room set up. Two things I want are an overhead beam for lifting and some exhaust fans. I’ve got the builder all set on the overhead beam, but haven’t figured out the exhaust fans.

I could go to the local farm supply and buy some basic exhaust fans with built in, self closing louvers. Those would be good for basic exhaust of welding smoke and general ventilation (I’m in Texas where it gets a little HOT).

But I keep thinking some explosion proof fans would be cool as I’m sure I’ll end up painting in there at some point. I would have to arrange some type of pre-filter to prevent the buildup of overspray and some intake filters. My main problem is I can’t find a good source for them. Everywhere I look, they are gosh awful expensive.

I keep looking on ebay, but I’ll need two of them and finding a pair is difficult on ebay. Anyone know a good source for quality paint booth fans at a decent price?

/ Exhaust Fans for Shop #2  
might try grainger.com- they seem to have alot of choices. hope that helps.

/ Exhaust Fans for Shop #3  
well explosion proof fans are expensive cause they have to be all sealed specialy. another point tho is that unless you plan to do your whole shop in explosion proor wiring and fixtures then they are kinda a waste

/ Exhaust Fans for Shop #4  
I've painted many times using just an inexpensive box fan in the garage window with no problems ( explosions) /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif, although after a few paint jobs the grille and blades were crusty. If you had one of the exhaust fans with the self closing louvers and wanted to paint something, maybe you could make a box to hold a couple of furnace filters that would fit over the fan to keep it clean.

/ Exhaust Fans for Shop #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( another point tho is that unless you plan to do your whole shop in explosion proor wiring and fixtures then they are kinda a waste )</font>
Personally I wouldn't think this would necessarily be true ..... to me it seems that the idea would be to let the fan run while spraying to exhaust the fumes, eliminating any explosion hazard. Admittedly I'm not a professional painter .... only doing my own equipment.

I'd like to find an explosion proof fan myself for our new polebarn that I'm in the process of finishing. Maybe a reasonable way to go might be to find an explosion-proof motor and retrofit it to a whole-house attic fan .... ?