Anyone ever seen a twin cylinder hit and miss?

/ Anyone ever seen a twin cylinder hit and miss? #1  

goneandbrokeit

Silver Member
My neighbor makes scaled down hit and miss engines in his garage.

There are 3 pictures of the twin further down.

They all run sweet but my fave is now the twin. I noticed that on the singles he is assembling now he is experimenting with the larger flywheels from the twin, I am curious to see how they run.

Attachments

• 830259-DSC01159.JPG
    830259-DSC01159.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 872
   / Anyone ever seen a twin cylinder hit and miss?
Another photo

Attachments

• 830260-DSC01163.JPG
    830260-DSC01163.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 601
A few months ago I asked him if he ever made a two cylinder...

Attachments

• 830261-DSC_2150.JPG
    830261-DSC_2150.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 552
Another

Attachments

• 830262-DSC_2147.JPG
    830262-DSC_2147.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 463
One more

Attachments

• 830265-DSC_2143.JPG
    830265-DSC_2143.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 440
   / Anyone ever seen a twin cylinder hit and miss? #6  
Way cool!

Years ago, some buddies got access to a HUGE single cylinder flywheel motor that came off a pump jack (oil well pump). It was run on diesel IIRC.

The flywheels (2) were between 5 & 6 FEET in diameter. It used compressed air to roll the cylinder over to get it going, along with compression releases.

When they removed it from the pump jack, they bolted it to railroad ties and sat it on the concrete. Didn't take much to get it going.

It would roll over and hit maybe every 4 or 5 revolutions. They couldn't run it very long as it would walk around too much!

Sure wish I had pics of it now.

ron

/ Anyone ever seen a twin cylinder hit and miss? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My neighbor makes scaled down hit and miss engines in his garage. )</font>

Does your neighbor sell them?

My neighbor used to work on the big ones, when he got into his seventies ( he is 80 now) they got to be too much for him to move around.
He then started building the small one so he could keep up the hobby.
If you liked watching the big ones run I suggest you research your area for a show. They seem to have a decent amount of them here in the NE. Around me the have one that combines the Antique Power with a tractor show.

/ Anyone ever seen a twin cylinder hit and miss? #9  
The threshing bee's have some very old-large flywheel engines that operate around 8 rpm (I believe that's what they told me) You could count the number of times it fired anyway. The one I remember was used on a rock crusher and the flywheel was probably 6' in diameter. The momentum of the flywheel made it take several minutes to shut down too.

Yes he sells them. They are kinda pricey, but I have known him for 2 years now and seen him move about 20-30 of them. He says he has made over 130 of them.