wood stove & pellet stove

/ wood stove & pellet stove #21  
I have a 1300sq ft finished basement that I heat with a Qudrafire..Love it. Keeps it a 70 degrees with no real effort. Bought a ton of pellets in the fall and still have about 10 bags left.

I grew up with wood stoves..Love the heat, but burned out on them..So to speak.

/ wood stove & pellet stove #22  
Reprint from my January 25th post: I've got two Jamestown Pellet stoves. One here in Buffalo, and one in an East Otto Summerhouse/deer camp. I love them both, even though there 15yrs old, and (I'm sure) are old technology. In Buffalo, I've also got a Heatalator, fireplace that I no longer use. I cut/scrounged, wood for years for the fire place, pallets, hardwood etc. My home has and open staircase, and with the pellet stove at the base of the stairs, it heats the whole house. I rigged up two thermostats, and set the gas furnace a couple degrees lower than the pellet stove . If the pellets run out, the furnace will kick on. In the cottage, we have a 5' open hearth fireplace. Dad's old homestead! I blocked it and put in the Jamestown insert. Pros: Even heat, unattended for 8-12 hours! No tramping in wood, bark, snow, from trips to the wood pile! No billowing ash with cleaning (its almost 'sand' consistency) Cons: Pellet supplys have varied over the years, but I think its better now. $5- a bag, You do need power! I'm unfamiliar with the battery back-up approach. But it's clean, rodentproof, fuel. I have had to replace the exhaust blower in each unit, and Jamestown isn't the most responsive vendor. I'd check E-Bay. Bought my insert on EB, and had to drive to Allentown PA, but saved some cash. ~Scotty

PS- Here's that other 'pellet' thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/161435-corn-vs-wood-pellet-vs.html