wood stove & pellet stove

/ wood stove & pellet stove #1  

roermo

Gold Member
Tractor
4110 JD
I have a fireplace, wood stove in basement, and just finished adding on a large family room which is open to the rest of the house. I want to heat it with a 2nd wood stove but was thinking of a pellet stove. But did not know if a combo was made. wood and pellit comob that is.

thanks for any input

/ wood stove & pellet stove #2  
I have a pellet/corn stove and I believe this question came up in another forum 1-2 months ago. No one had heard of a combination stove because of the much different processes taking place. I checked the web too and couldn't find any type of combination. I hope that helps.

/ wood stove & pellet stove
thanks , I too thought it would be too good to be true, when looking at pellit stove I could tell they were not the same as just a simple wood stove. Maybe I should have both setting side by side, na. When looking at the pellet stove or corn I am just afraid it could be a fad, and the product here this winter was hard to find in stores. I can always find the wood for free in my part of the country, but some times it gets tough to go out and cut it compared to buying a bag of corn or wood pellits.
any way
thanks

Roger

/ wood stove & pellet stove #4  
I know what you mean with pellets, I would worry it becomes a passing fad & the machine becomes worthless long before it is worn out or paid back.

Corn however will be around for many, many, many years. I'm sitting in a sea of corn 'here', with many piles of it sitting outside yet from last year. There is corn everywhere!

--->Paul

/ wood stove & pellet stove #5  
I had a pellet stove 3 years ago. back then pellets were $2.40 a bag at Wally World. This year I noticed they were $4.60 a bag. Quite a jump in just 3 years. I used atleast 1 bag a day. That would be close to $140 a month for secondary heat !!
i would look into the wood stove or even a coal/wood stove if i were you . I have a Harman MarkII coal/wood stove and it works great and throws WAY more heat than my pellet stove did.

/ wood stove & pellet stove
thanks guys for the input

any idea of the consumption of corn and the cost, though wood onlyis looking better.

In my older age, I have found that contacting the tree trimmers and giving them 20 40 bucks they drop off the large logs for free or for a tip. The last load was like getting 4 to 5 pick up loads, granted I have to cut it to lenght and split it but it bets going to the woods. I have a jd 4110 that I move the big honkers around with and load to the spliter so all in all a good life.

thanks again

roger

/ wood stove & pellet stove #7  
I live in Mid Michigan and we get some extreme temperatures most Winters. This year has not been too bad so far.
A friend of mine buys shelled corn from a farmer for $100 a ton and has to furnish his own bags. I think he gets it in 30 pound bags and he burns on average one bag a day. A little more on colder days.
His burner is in his basement and he has a couple vents cut into his basement ceiling so the heat can rise. He is pretty new at it and still has a few bugs to work out in order to get the heat evenly circulated through out his home. He may have to add a fan or two and may have to cut a return air vent or two to improve circulation.
So far he seems happy with it. He still uses propane to heat his water, kitchen stove and as back up heat if he leaves home for a day or so.
Farwell

/ wood stove & pellet stove #8  
I looked like the others pretty unsuccessfully for a combo pellet/wood stove. I dont think a beast like that exists /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I also feel like some of what the other fellows had to say about pellets being a fad. Especially if those pellet prices keep rising drastically like they have and the other issue is availability of the darn things. I would be weary of making that committment. By no means am I knocking these stoves, because many people use them without a problem. Im just a little skeptical with what I have seen happen this past year!

scotty

/ wood stove & pellet stove #9  
A friend of mine owns one of the larger pellet manufacturing companies in the Northeast.
The price of pellets, which are usually viewed as an alternative to traditional fuels, is basically pegged to be a little cheaper per BTU than oil or gas.
Like so many things these days, the price isn't based on what it costs to manufactor, but what the market will bear.

/ wood stove & pellet stove #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A friend of mine owns one of the larger pellet manufacturing companies in the Northeast.
The price of pellets, which are usually viewed as an alternative to traditional fuels, is basically pegged to be a little cheaper per BTU than oil or gas.
Like so many things these days, the price isn't based on what it costs to manufactor, but what the market will bear. )</font>

Ahh,
So very true /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scotty