Septic Tank Maint.

/ Septic Tank Maint. #11  
"A friend of mine pumps and installs them for a living and tells me that if it is working correctly, then you should never have to pump it."

There are two myths that come up pretty often about septic systems. One is that the discharge evaporates, and the other that the solids decompose into nothing and the septic tank does not need to be pumped. Both are false.

Only a small percentage, like 3%, of the liquid leaving the septic tank will evaporate. The drainfield is designed to absorb water and transfer it to the water table. Gravity works.

The solids entering your tank can only partially be digested. They will accumulate. Take a coffee can and fill it half way with poop, in ten years there will still be something in that can. It just doesn't go away. Some tanks will accumulate sludge slower than others but all tanks that receive poop will accumulate sludge.

I am going on 5 years without pumping my tank. You can check the sludge level by dipping the tank. My sludge is accumulating very slowly since I keep close track of what goes down.

/ Septic Tank Maint.
Glad to hear the different responces. Logic tells me that "never" is wrong.
I should add that my "gray water' doesn't go to the tank.
This reduces it alot.
However there are those other "things" that get flushed into it.
i.e. condoms, which never deterioate.
I had one plug up when my kids were younger. Son flushed a bulldozer down.Had to take up the tank .fun fun.
I think that on the average, most would pump it at least every 6 years or so depending on use.
Glad to see all the different replies.

/ Septic Tank Maint. #13  
I agree with most others, usually a longer pumping time is good for less people, also don't put anything in there except waste from a toilet / tub. this means sink grease is a no-no and garbage disposal is worse, lots of solids going in and as stated above the solids only get so small and then it fills up. and needs pumped to prevent leach line problems...

adding septic cleaner is only more nbactiria which is ok if you have added bleach to the lines for some reason, such as washing mach or well bleaching. adding some of the septic stuff is OK but simple yeast works then too. as for water running lots of water in will help the bactiria stay airiated and have good water to live & eat the solids from.

mark M

/ Septic Tank Maint.
I have to agree Spiker.My sisters system gets input from two people, no dishwasher sink, or clothes washer. It is a 500 gallon plastic tank. when it leaches out it goes to a cinder block "dry" well. Then after that It goes to a farely large leach system.at least 70 feet of pvc pipe and stone.
She is scared that it will fqail if she flushes alot of water down it, thus,I think the solids dry up in the tank, But for whatever reason , what a smell from the vent...You can smell it on ground level, and when I roofed it, I put a legnth of 4 pvc over the pipe temp. So I could stand it on the roof.
My thought is that it isnt getting enough water to function properly.But she insists that the less going in the better.
Ive also encountered troubles with the new less water topilets, and had to "Mod" it. not at my place but my dads farm. the pipe is about 40 plus feet to the tank, and the solids just wont flow that far on such little water.
LOL Guess thats yet another forum post.
Al

/ Septic Tank Maint. #15  
When we found toilet paper on our driveway is when we discovered the joys of owning a septic tank. We just had our pumped and it was 170 Euros. This is probably the lowest repair we have had on anything on the property. The septic guys put in some bacteria type thing so hopefully it will be a while before we have to do that again. We have a lift station that lifts the sewage up into the Mail Box parcel. I will say that the trees in the Mailbox parcel grow really big and strong. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Frot he low cost I dont' think it is a big deal to have it pumped every so often, whatever it takes to keep the toilet paper off the driveway...

/ Septic Tank Maint. #16  
Check your local laws on this subject.

The state of Wisconsin mandates that it be pumped every 3 years. I have done it every other year and will continue to do so. At $100 per pumping session, it is cheap insurance.

The normal routine is when the tank is emptied they inspect the "flapper valves" and other internal components visually with a mirror. If repairs are needed or eminent, this is a much easier way to get them done than an emergency (always at the most inconvenient time!).

/ Septic Tank Maint. #17  
<font color="blue"> I plan to eliminate the hassle of digging up the covers each time. The next time I dig them up, I'll poke a hole in each lid and cement in a piece of 6" PVC with a plug. I'll put a valve box over that, so it's accessible each time and protected from damage.
gsganzer

===== </font>
<font color="red"> </font>
No need for us Ohio guys to do that. We've never buried them here.
I know every things bigger in Tx. but bigger isn't always brighter.
~~~~~~~~~
MY FIRST CAR http://chevy.tocmp.com/chevyscrapbook/files/kamp50.jpg
OUR FIRST CAR http://www.hubcapcafe.com/ocs/pages01/chev6003.htm
~~~~~~~~~~

/ Septic Tank Maint. #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( if the tank fills with too many solids, then the leach field will be getting bad stuff )</font>
That's what I like about my tank no leach field equals no leach field problems.

Leach beds create more problems than than they solve.

/ Septic Tank Maint. #19  
LBrown59 I didn't realize that you were a dookee expert. How often do you recommend that I have my septic tanks pumped with just 2 in our home?

/ Septic Tank Maint. #20  
You’re talking about two different types of septic systems. Sounds like the kind you have is an aerator that requires two electric motors and screens that require periodic cleaning. My buddy is just breaking ground on a new house and wanted to put one of these in and the county permit guy said they now prefer leach fields if the soil and area will support them. His reasoning being that if the maintenance is not kept up they are worst for the surrounding area because the discharge can go to open ditches.

Dave