Ideas on framing out a "step" inside shower stall?

/ Ideas on framing out a "step" inside shower stall? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Ideas on framing out a \"step\" inside shower stall?

building shower in basement, about 4'x4'x8 1/2. unfortunatly, my camera adapter bit the dust so I can't post a proper picture.

So, I've drawn it out in MS-Paint.

Ok, here's the situation, this particular wall is 2x6 because there is a drain going the length of the wall roughly 14" up from the floor (item 4 in the pic) This drain is part of the problem.

Ok, the picture is a SIDE view of a 2x6 wall with the following parts

#1 = 2x12 which is going to be used to attach the skirt around shower
#2 = custom cut piece (3 of them) to slide around the drain pipe (#4) and to give me a surface to put the footpad on.
#3= footpad
#4= Drainpipe
#5= probably a 2x12 (not installed yet and one of my questions)
#6= same as #5

In case anyone notices, I forgot to number the area to the RIGHT of #1. It looks like dead space but I've actually filled it up with 2x12's so that the front piece (#1) will have some support from the lateral pressure of being stepped on. So, although it looks blank in drawing, it was my oversight.

ok, questions:

1. Using a 2x6, I've got 5 1/2 inches of foot depth to play with. If I use a 2x? board on BACK wall (#5,6) I'm now down to 4 inches of depth BEFORE the 1/2" durarock, tile & mastic. Wife wants as much depth as I can. Would you use 1"x?? or stay with 2x? how about attaching the durock staight to the wall? (cinder block wall to outside of house, below grade)

2. Would you stick with a 2x? (probably cut down 2x6) as the footrest (item #3) or would you consider a 1x6 for that same location? I'm personally stuck on 2x stuff so there's more meat/support there. Wife seems to think that we can drop items #3,5,6 down to 1x boards. I want to do this RIGHT, not twice /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. Since yanking out my drainpipe isn't an option, any other ideas on how to build around it instead of using item #2?

4. I've got THREE #2's over a 13" width. So on each side of the vertical 2x6's I have one and I also have one in the middle. Think that's enough? (see other drawing)

When I talked to the tile lady, she seemed pretty clear... anything to do with framing is up to ME to do or get done. Her job will be to take over AFTER it's framed in. I do NOT want to have any kind of foot rest without solid support underneith it. wife told me to just nail a board there... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Call me **** but I was ALWAYS told that you don't have anything weight bearing without some form of support underneith... you never use nails/screws to hold weight. She thinks I'm over-engineering this and I happen to think it's being done "right" other than the question of using 2x boards or perhaps 1x stuff as mentioned above.

Thanks for any thoughts.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 841629-step.JPG
    841629-step.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 443
   / Ideas on framing out a "step" inside shower stall? #2  
Re: Ideas on framing out a \"step\" inside shower stall?

So if I read your description correctly, you are building a shower up against a 2 X 6 studded wall(studs against below grade basement cinderblock). You are also trying to incorporate a foot rest approx 14" above the shower stall base that fits between 2 of the 2 x 6 studs. Is this correct?

If so, I also gather from your drawing that you are attaching wood to the cinderblock above the pipe on which to attach the durarock/tile backing?

Well tell your wife I said you are right, nails/screws should not hold the weight. They are only to hold the structure in place that holds the weight. Looks like you are going about it the right way, but I would suggest that the material that you place above the drain pipe be thin enough to run down behind the pipe and rest on the floor for proper support(you said it yourself, fasteners should not hold the weight:).

If it were me doing it, I would probably skip the step alltogether and just add stringers between the 2 X 6 studs or a heavy sheet of plywood to give adequate support for the tile back panel to be affixed to. Far simpler installation and moves potential water leakage that much farther from the wooden studs. Absolutely gotta have a step? Build a box structure out from the backing board. This moves any potential leakage out away from the wall. or install a pre-made shower stall with step/seat molded in(probably difficult to get down into the basement though) Or just make it a straight walled shower and use a short shower stool...

/ Ideas on framing out a "step" inside shower stall? #3  

Have you solved you shower issues? I can tell you how we do it down here.

/ Ideas on framing out a "step" inside shower stall?

Thanks for responding guys…
I am taking camera with real pics into work today, see attached (will attach in couple hours)

Ron: You gather correctly on all of your presumptions.

Unfortunately, the drainpipe has maybe at MOST ¼” clearance between it and the wall. When I installed it, she (wife) made NO mention of a foot rest or I would have easily been able to pull it out a bit for more clearance. It does have a bit of flexibility so perhaps I could find/wedge a small piece of plywood to put behind.

I’ve since “re-engineered” it since the drawings, the pics show the current version

I gotta have a step, I presumed this boxed in area would have the liner like the base of the shower (?), furthermore, I plan/presume this box area will be lined in durrock (referencing your comment about building a box structure…isn’t that what I’m implicitly doing with the studs?)

Premade is out of the question, although I could get it into this room (French doors to outside) once you see the pics, you’ll understand more (I think) Now using the stool… isn’t that a clever idea that hasn’t been thought of. We intend on having a stool handy because we’ve got a niece in a wheelchair & father in law isn’t getting any younger… one never knows. I'll bring that up with Boss woman!

Elvis!! Elvis is BACK in the building!!
Tried to pm you but you are not accepting pm’s That can probably be changed, should you wish, in your options section (don't know what that section is called)

Thanks guys…

Oh, and again, I say I’m attaching pics, I’m writing this at home (where I can’t access camera) and wanted to respond. I’ll be at work in 2 hours and will put some real pics up then.

Forgot to mention, was at store other day to get some 1x boards so I could make the step...as I was hunting them down it hit me...

5/4 planks!!!

I picked up a treated 5/4"x6' plank to not only use as my step, but also the back board on the wall. Compromise in size between the 3/4" and the 2x stuff.

Also, wife wanted step LOWER, so if you look at the current drawings, the part of #2 that is a support ABOVE the drain pipe exists no more.

By trying this 5/4" board, it will go basically from the front face TO the wall in one motion. Lowering it made that joint so thin the rear part simply broke off. So that's why I mentioned wondering if I might be able to slide a piece of 1/4" plywood or something like that behind the drain.

Again, in 2 hours when I can post REAL pictures, it might make more sense.

Off I am /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

This is pic of shower. The 2 walls extending into the room are 2x4 walls and the walls against the blocks are 2x6. The "foot rest" is on the left side against the block wall.

Attachments

• 843380-Shower 1.JPG
    843380-Shower 1.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 524

This is what it was looking like when I had 2x6's down as the footpad. I was going to have to bevel the front edge to give me a flush surface

Attachments

• 843381-Copy of 3.JPG
    843381-Copy of 3.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 208

this is how it's looking using the 5/4 boards. Note: I had to trim off the BACK support of the support block so the foot bad NOW extends all the way to the wall.

Attachments

• 843382-Shower 2.JPG
    843382-Shower 2.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 364

Here's the supports I've made and you can see how the back is gone (relative to the initial drawings) and also my idea on adding supports behind the drainpipe.

Attachments

• 843386-Shower 3.JPG
    843386-Shower 3.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 179

Two enough on the sides, or would you add a third in the center for a 13" span?

Attachments

• 843387-Copy of DSCN2210.JPG
    843387-Copy of DSCN2210.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 196