Carport ???

/ Carport ??? #1  

RollTideRam

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK 4710 Cab
I have been looking at the $695 carports that advertise around home. The price is for a 18'x21' installed on level ground. This is only a frame and roof. To get side walls and one end finished will double the price.
I would like to get one to keep the tractor and implement and assorted junk under. Does anyone have one of these?
Shouldn't it be pretty easy to do the sides and one end myself? I would like to keep my new tractor (when I get it) at my house instead of my fathers shed, and I don't want it visible from the road. JC

/ Carport ??? #2  
I bought a Cover-it carport that is basically a metal tube frame with a large heavy duty tarp going over the sides and roof. Also, there is a back tarp and and a front with a zippered door. It is 12' wide, 20' long and 10' high walls, about 13' to the tip of the pent roof. Here is the website.
Best part is I paid $300 for it and have had it for about 4 years. It can handle the snow very well, but I still go out after every big storm (6" and more) and knock all the snow off of the roof.
My CK20 with full cab fits in there very well. I even had the backhoe unattached, subframe and all and still fit in with the loader and snowblower attached.
There is about 9" of heavy wet snow on the roof in the picture.

785756-100_0592-1.JPG

/ Carport ??? #3  
I had one built a couple of years ago and I am quite happy with it. One thing I did that I would recommend - add at least a foot of height to it. Costs very little extra and well worth it. It should be easy to add walls; if you get a white one then it won't matter what color the walls are.

Steve

/ Carport ??? #4  
Well my picture didn't last long. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Check the attachment for a picture.

Attachments

• 843644-785756-100_0592-1.jpg
    843644-785756-100_0592-1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 575
   / Carport ??? #5  
Mornin JC,
I think that the portable building that Derek got is a great deal. I couldnt do that where Im at because of the wind, it gets quite nasty at times.

I have a 8x16 shed and I built a tractorport off the backside of it. I dug three postholes 8ft out and then attached 2x8 onto the posts. I used 2x6 on 16" ctrs for the roof, firing strips and a metal roof. The metal roof overhangs the posts about 2ft. I can store the tractor under there when Im at the property and stack some wood between the posts. I built the whole thing for a little over $300. The only thing is that the exhaust just makes it under the roof, when I get my boxblade I will remove a little ground for some additional height.

scotty

/ Carport ???
I have a side shed built off the side of my garage already. I have too much stuff/junk though. I have a Toyota 4runner, Suzuki Samarai and my 2500 Dodge. Plus lots of spare 4wd parts. All of this is competing for room under the shed and my half of the garage. I also have 12x24 storage shed full of stuff, but the back of it is on the property line. I really need to get rid of some stuff to make room for a new tractor and a possible Gator. JC

/ Carport ??? #7  
I don't have one but thought long and hard about it. They are all the rage here in Western PA. My neighbor has had one for 10 years and it is still in great shape.

The only reason I didn't get one is due to laziness.

/ Carport ??? #8  
I was in Costco today and they had a 10' by 20' carport for $169.

Maybe you could figure out a way to use two of those. You have to install it yourself, but the price is right.

/ Carport ??? #9  
Was the Cosco unit a a metal carport a canvas one? ... Scozz

/ Carport ??? #10  
It was a fabric cover over plastic supports -- looked like ~2" PVC. The fabric was not real canvas, but it actually looked more waterproof and durable than canvas.

I am thinking of getting one next weekend when I go back to OR, if the Costco in Medford has them.

I would like to get my 110 TLB out of the rain until the house is built.

I wasn't really interested in one of the more permanent carports because I think they are ugly and as soon as I have a permanent structure where I can park the tractor, the carport is going to be thrown away. At $169 for 18 months of use this fits right into the "good value -- disposable at end of life" category.

Right now I am covering it with a brown plastic tarp, which was a suggestion from the dealer. This actually works out pretty well. Grants Pass has had about 15 inches of rain since I bought it, and everything in the cab stays dry. It also provides a slight discouragement to the local kids from playing with/on the tractor, which a carport would not. I also think the tarp would be more dust-resistant in the summer when construction starts in earnest and much larger machines are building the road and excavating the foundation.