Basement Plumbing Question from non-plumber

/ Basement Plumbing Question from non-plumber #1  

miltrade

Tractor
JD 4200
I recently bought my home (13 months ago), which was built in 1989.

In the unfinished basement, there is no roughed in plumbing at all. The whole home is on a well and septic-system, so all the water and drainage pvc and copper is run overhead, both coming in from the well and draining out to the septic.

Is it possible to add a basement bathroom in this case? By code, it has to be done by a licensed plumbing contractor. Would the contractor run the drainpiping under the concrete? If so, how do they tap into the existing drainage to the leachfield, which is all overhead? I know in homes on public water, the drainpipe is in place as the foundation is laid and runs down and away. How does a basement bathroom drain work if it has to go UP to get to the existing drainage?

Has anyone done this to a home on septic and well? How much did you pay?
THANKS.

/ Basement Plumbing Question from non-plumber #2  
I don't believe your septic field is the issue. The issue is where your sewage drain leaves your house. In your case, it sounds as if it leaves above the basement, which seems very odd to me, but I didn't build it.

You can still put a bathroom down there, but you'll need a pump. A buddy of mine did the exact thing. His sewer hookup was in the basement, but there was no rough-in for a bathroom. Rather than tear up his basement floor, he got a pump and ran his plumbing overhead (above the drop ceiling) to the drain pipe leaving the house. These pumps are common enough that any home supply place should have them. I don't know what they're called or anything about them, but I know they exist.

I would suggest buying the best, most highly warranteed one you can find. That's not something you want to be replacing or failing in any way.

Also, I'm not sure where you got the requirement for a licensed plumber to do your installation. I can't believe there is any way that is a law. What you do to your house is your business. As long as the work is up to code when you go to sell it (if you plan on ever selling), you're good to go.

/ Basement Plumbing Question from non-plumber
Thanks. I know relatively little about plumbing, other than general principles and of course I can install toilets and sinks etc.

So, even when they are building homes on well and septic, with a subterranean basement, not on a slab, they still usually run the drainpipes below the foundation? Thanks.

/ Basement Plumbing Question from non-plumber #4  
My neighbor just had a bathroom added to his basement. He installed one similar to this. Saniflo I believe he bought the whole system at Lowe's.

/ Basement Plumbing Question from non-plumber #5  
Sanitary for all Inc.
5 Columbia Drive ste 472
Niagara Falls NY 14305-1275
Tel-800-363-5874
E-mail: sales@saniflo.com
Web site:www.saniflo.com
This company has everything to install a below ground
toilet or complete bathroom. I've had one for 6 years and have had no problems. I have toilet, complete shower and
wash basin, all run off of this unit. You only need a 3/4"
line to existing sewer line or septic tank. Of course water
supply lines to the fixtures. Nice units.
Good Luck

/ Basement Plumbing Question from non-plumber #6  
The type of pump you need is called a sewage ejector and needs to be sized according to how much water you will be generating as well if you need to move liquid or solid waste. In addition, generally those pumps have an alarm system that will beep if there is a failure, this is to prevent raw sewage leaking out from your pipes into the basement. I have had a sewage ejector in my last house for 3 years and have not had any sort of problems.

The installer did tell me that the pumps are usually good for 5 - 10 years depending on usage.

Hope that helps.

Derek

/ Basement Plumbing Question from non-plumber #7  
My basement has a sewage pump in it. The pipe goes out of the house about 3 feet up the basement wall. The water goes into a holding tank in the concrete floor. When it's full it acts like a sump pump. It trips the float, pumps the water and has a flapper in it to keep the water going 1 way.

Here's an even easier solution

http://www.libertypumps.com

/ Basement Plumbing Question from non-plumber #9  
I had the same challenge, the 4" sewage was overhead in the basement when we decided to finish out the basement. At first I considered the all in one unit, but didn't like the design of the unit and what I would have had to do to finish out the bathroom. In the end, I cut concrete to set a basin for a pump, and cut for a drain for a shower, commode, and sink. The builder had a clear vent all the way to the basement, which helped with code issues. The basin/pump (Little Giant was my pump/grinder of choice) sits 14' from the bath so concrete cut was minimal. I paid $100 to rent a jack hammer and concrete saw. The lift on the pump was adequate for the 10' ceilings in the basement. A check valve was needed, and the line from the pump was isolated with a short rubber tubed. (keeps the "clunk" from being heard when the pump runs. Four years later, even with two teenage boys, no problems. All together, less then $1000 plumbed the bathroom, and less then $1000 in fixtures - commode, shower, sink, lights, mirrors and vanity. It all amounted to a very finished look. Let me know if you need details or pictures of the installed basin and above ground plumbing & good luck!

/ Basement Plumbing Question from non-plumber #10  
Another option is to run the plumbing under the slab to the outside, then a "sewage pit" with a pump/grinder which then would go directly into the septic tank. This way, the pumping station and any associated odors wil be away from the structure. This way also uses standard piping and fixtures inside the house. Messier, yes. More concrete work, yes. But usually a much nicer install when done. A jack hammer and a trencher rental would easily handle the job. I would seriously question the need for a "licensed plumber" to do this. Some places allow you to pull a homeowner permit whereas some might require you to take a test after studying whatever they provide you with.

And, I think it was Bird, said it best "plumbings easy. Pressure goes where you want, stuff goes downhill and don't bite your fingernails while you're working on it". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif